Manors Railway Station, Newcastle

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

elbongodelfetish
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Manors Railway Station, Newcastle

Post by elbongodelfetish »

Hi, name's Adam, 19y.o. from Newcastle, and ever since I was little have had a stange fascination for Manors Railway Station, in Newcastle. I'm not sure what it is that interests me about it, but it probably has something to do with the fact that it was once this big station, lots of buildings, many platforms - and it has almost completely vanished from the urban landscape. I'm a history student furthermore, and am interested in what the station used to look like, and what it was like to use it.

Now the most obvious way to get a sense of how the station used to be is to look at old photographs of the station, from its contstruction and even beyond its closure in the late 70s, when it lay mostly derelict and empty. Very spooky. But having scoured the net for pictures, I just couldn't seem to find very many. Which is when i stumbled upon this site - in a forum called 'guess the station', someone posted two photos of Manors Station from around the 1970s, which I'd never seen before. What I would ask all of you now is, do you have any pictures of Manors Station, and would you be so kind as to either post them on here, or provide some sort of link to a site, or email them to me??? Your co-operation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Adam
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

There are 2 pages of pictures Manors at http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/ - follow the link to "list of closed railway stations", which will give you an extensive alphabetical list.

Here are a few I took in the late 1970s.

So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
elbongodelfetish
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Thanks for those - unfortunately I'd already seen the Manors pics on the site you suggested, but thanks very much for your own photos - can you remember visiting Manors, and what being there felt like? Looks pretty grim in the 70s!

Keep the pics coming, much appreciated!
Adam
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Manors Station

Post by 60041 »

If you have been watching the television tonight, you will have seen some footage of the old entrance steps at Manors in the film "Get Carter" ( the original version obviously).
For anyone not familiar with this film, it also has scenes of Kings Cross and Newcastle Central stations, and some shots of Deltics on the ECML, as well as some superb views of long gone 1960's industrial Newcastle
balticdiver
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by balticdiver »

Hi Adam
As a kid I used to occassionally use Manors station. It was busy weekday morning and evenings. Loads of people used it, walking down from Worswick St. Whenever we were there on weekends in the 70's it seemed like a ghost town, bit surreal, semi-derelict but there were loads of stopping DMU trains, particularly on the local platforms. I found it fascinating, but we didn't have a camera. I sort of forgot about as a teenager it until it was too late. I'm not into model trains but I am so fascinated by the place, I am considering building it as layout as it would have been in the early 70s.
I have done a lot of trawling for photos, you may have seen these ones already.
Great photos also on: http://erniesphotos.fotopic.net/ but can only be saved as web pages.
Best wishes, Alastair
Attachments
manors
manors
manors23.jpg (56.05 KiB) Viewed 27948 times
manors east
manors east
manors-east-01.jpg (35.76 KiB) Viewed 29416 times
manors24.jpg
manors24.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 27930 times
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

I knew Manors in the 60s. It was a very busy station, being more conveniently situated for the Northumberland Street shops and the many offices around New Bridge Street than the Central. Blyth and Tyne trains also terminated there and Alnwick and Berwick stoppers brought plenty of what we would now call commuters. Its real Metro replacements have been Monument and Haymarket rather than the new Manors.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Manors station.
I took some video footage from the roof of the multi story car park of the last class 40 to do the Redbank Vans coming through Manors.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Only red toon I knew around here was Consett. But with the closure of the steel works and 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad weather I suppose things change!
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Consett

Post by redtoon1892 »

Aye thats true. But wernt the 9Fs some sight ? I used to watch them go over the Potop crossing at Brockley Whins

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/bry ... Steam.html
elbongodelfetish
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Manors Station, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Any more pics of Manors station in the 60s/70s/80s? Any more memories? Does anybody remember what the station was like just before it closed?
Adam
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Manors Station

Post by Malcolm »

Hi Adam,

Here are some maps and pictures of Manors station (hope they've attached okay) all in jpeg format. Hope this helps in your quest.
elbongodelfetish
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Wow, great colour pics, thanks very much!

Anybody else have pics/memories of old Manors station?
Adam
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Manors Station

Post by Malcolm »

Adam,

No problems. Glad to help.
Busy cataloging my collection and found another photo of Manors in colour (not very big though).
Taken looking at platform 3 (one of the bays)
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Manors Station

Post by Malcolm »

Ah, those bucket seats bring back memories of my youth, and those sliding doors (I used to wonder how people did not get killed by opening those doors and falling out. I do have one memory of seeing some teenagers climbing outside from one carriage to the next whilst the train was in motion. Between Benton and Longbenton.
pasco
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Manors Railway Station, Newcastle

Post by pasco »

Hi Adam

I don't know what it is about Manors, but I am totally fascinated by it too. Almost to the point of obsession... it is a bit weird! However, there are some good photos out there, unusual ones too. Alan Young's book "suburban railways of tyneside" is a fascinating read, and contains lots of info about Manors, as well as photos and maps. Online, try the Scotrail website, and a section of the good site disusedrailways.co.uk. You can find a wealth of different photos, usually from Manors' sad later years...

In my view it was sacrilege to destroy it. After all, it is closer to the city centre than Central... Has anyone actually managed to model Manors yet? Would be fantastic to see a finished result...

Hope you find what you are looking for, do share your findings!

Regards, Paul