Manors Railway Station, Newcastle

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Manors Railway Station, Newcastle

Post by 52D »

Yes i agree a lovely little station from the pics ive seen but im sure the cabin was FalloDEN. If KH can get it as DON I will accept both, anyway Im off out with my shovel and hurricane lamp.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Bryan wrote:Is there meant to be a difference in the spellings because I can't see one?
Now I see the O and not an E.
Must be going round the twist.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

relax Bryan we all have our senior moments.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

52D wrote:Pinza & 60041 above. I have seen two different ways of spelling Falloden in various articles. Im sure when the last remaining part of the station the signal box by then down graded to a gate box was spelled Falloden on its board. The other spelling was Fallodon. Any opinions?
The present crossing is called Fallodon on the sign, I cannot say what the name of the station was but Sir Edward Grey was Viscount Grey of Fallodon, so I think it would be unlikely that the NER spelt if differently.
On a slightly different note, I think it would be interesting to list all the locations where the railway companies changed the spelling or even the name of a village. One that springs to mind is Reedsmouth, where the local spelling was Rede. Also many of the stations on the Cornhill branch were given names of places other than where they were actually built: Hedgeley Station was actually in Powburn, 2 miles from Hedgeley; Glanton Station was at Shawdon, over a mile from Glanton and Whittingham Station was built on land known as Thrunton Lowfield and was again about 2 miles away from the village it was purported to serve.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

I daren't revive Greenfield again in its various guises, so instead I'll leave the LNER and quote Dudden Hill/Dudding Hill.

Kudu
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Whittlesea/Whittlesey
Hewish/Huish (level crossing & SB between Yatton and Worle)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

60041 wrote: On a slightly different note, I think it would be interesting to list all the locations where the railway companies changed the spelling or even the name of a village. One that springs to mind is Reedsmouth, where the local spelling was Rede. Also many of the stations on the Cornhill branch were given names of places other than where they were actually built: Hedgeley Station was actually in Powburn, 2 miles from Hedgeley; Glanton Station was at Shawdon, over a mile from Glanton and Whittingham Station was built on land known as Thrunton Lowfield and was again about 2 miles away from the village it was purported to serve.
Cornhill itself - or 'Coldstream' as it was known for most of its history- was a very particular example in that Cornhill where the station was is in England whereas Coldstream itself is in Scotland.

But this raises a 'philosophical' question. Was the railway company company 'getting it wrong' or just reasonably naming the station for the major settlement it would serve? Alnmouth station which is in Lesbury comes to mind as an example.

When I lived in London it used to intrigue me how districts started to take on the name of their tube station when the latter was named after something other than the area it was in (if you see what I mean). People will tell you they live in Swiss Cottage, for example, which was named after a local dairy and should have been named 'South Hampstead' if there not already been a station of that name down the road.

Which reminds me, who can tell me which important London tube station (which also features on the Monopoly board) is named after a street which does not exist (and did not exist when the station was named)?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

I also had that feeling about the Harringay/Haringey affair Micky, as if Haringey was invented as a name for the (then new?) borough; unless of course it came from pre-railway history as an early spelling for the area (though it might then have been little more than open fields).
Another name conundrum (sorry it's from 'chocolate & cream' land again), is Midgham station, firmly within the edge of Woolhampton village, while Midgham village is at least a couple of miles away (as the fly crows) up on a ridge.

Oops!!! Severe thread drift alert! - Not much to do with Manors!
I think the last dozen or so posts (including this one) should have been in a new thread.
Sorry Richard.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

I am sure we all remember the reply to the question "Why was Dent station built so far from the village of that name?"

" 'appen they wanted it close to the railway track."
pasco
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by pasco »

So... any word on Alan Young's new book?
Or anyone found any more pics of Manors that they would like to share?
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Micky wrote:Interesting thought Percy Main? (never thought i would write anything on this page :lol: ) Take for example HARRINGAY (WEST) station in the London area approximately 3 miles or so north from KINGS CROSS the surrounding area in the London borough of HARRINGAY is infact spelt HARINGEY. The spelling of the name HARRINGAY to HARINGEY i always felt was political and was spelt that way by the council from the 1970s onwards although i maybe wrong?.
Haringey is a London Borough formed in 1965 from the merger of Hornsey, Wood Green and Tottenham Municipal Boroughs.

Harringay is a district now in Haringey, previously in Hornsey. The name Hornsey now survives as another district of the Borough. Both Harringay and Hornsey still have official recognition as the names of Wards within Haringey.

Kudu
Jonathan1973

Post by Jonathan1973 »

An attempt to gently tease the thread back towards its original topic :D I'll attach another of Alan's pictures, and pass on the news that his book is with the publishers as we speak. I don't suppose anyone in the 'Manors Community' has some pictures (from the 60's or 70's), of the 'Tynemouth Square' at Central Station to share? I have a few of the platforms, but practically none of the ticket barriers or suburban booking office.
Attachments
Manors [14] East 30 Mar 1978 aey.jpg
pasco

Post by pasco »

As ever, great pic Jonathan...

Any pictures of the insides of Manors anywhere? And I know I have asked this before, but has anyone ever (or know of anyone) who has attempted to (successfully or otherwise) model Manors?
lar1976
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by lar1976 »

I had contemplated on modelling Manors, it makes for a very interesting station with the main line trains and local loop service along with the Blyth, Newbiggin trains, it would have to be sizeable as I've modelled in 00 and there's the question of being true to detail due to the layout of the station. I had also contemplated Tynemouth which would be superb with it's visiting summer special trains and the fact that each line dissapears under a bridge on the North Shields, Cullercoats and Linskill sidings area. One problem for me is the lack of kits of North Tyne EMU's and I'm loathed to have DMU's running back and forth.