Manors Railway Station, Newcastle

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

woodpusher22
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Manors Railway Station, Newcastle

Post by woodpusher22 »

Just come across Crosslea's photo of the passimeter. What memories that brings up when I remember the number of times I worked in there 60 years ago. There used to be a canopy overhead in those days.
Thanks for posting that picture, Crosslea.

Woodpusher
Jonathan1973
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Jonathan1973 »

Thank you again Woodpusher. That level of information is quite difficult to obtain. I'd be interested to know how much of the station was actually used and what the staffing was like, during the last period of busy BR use in the 1970's. I'm also very interested to hear that you worked at the other Tyneside stations. I grew up in Tynemouth, and used to catch the train to Newcastle occasionally. I have vague memories of only one ticket window ever being used - although I was only 7 when the Metro took over so my memory might be playing tricks. There are loads of things I'd like to ask about the other Tynerail stations, but this thread is possibly not the place. Keep up the memories!

Jonathan
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

while working on the roof of the telephone exchange (carliol square) i saw several metro trains passing through manors east on the way to gosforth but i have never ever come across any pictures of them in the central station or manors or even heaton come think or any where enroute from birmingham.
woodpusher22
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by woodpusher22 »

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry I can't help you further re Manors in the 70's. Last time I ever saw Manors Station was 1958, and that was only when passing through on the way to and from North Shields. I lost all interest in railways when I changed my job.

Woodpusher
Jonathan1973

Post by Jonathan1973 »

I have found the pictures of the Marsden Rattler taken in 1995. As you can see, several of the terra-cotta features were re-used including the three booking windows and some larger windows and a door. All this has now gone (as far as I can tell), with the exception of the pillars bearing the three castle of Newcastle.

Woodpusher -perhaps 1958 was the best time to see Manors, it seems to have gone downhill rapidly during the 60's and 70's. If you had any memories of North Shields station to share, I'd be grateful.
Jonathan
Attachments
Marsden Rattler 4 (1995).JPG
Marsden Rattler 1 (1995).JPG
Marsden Rattler 2 (1995).JPG
Marsden Rattler 3 (1995).JPG
woodpusher22
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by woodpusher22 »

Very nice pix of the Marsden Rattler, Jonathan. Re North Shields station? I'm new to this website - do we need to start a new thread?

Woodpusher
pasco

Post by pasco »

Great photos Jonathan.

Do we know how/why/who decided to use Manors North parts to make up the Rattler?
And does anyone know what happened to the rest of the station? Will it all have just gone for scrap somewhere, or has any other part of it been preserved and is in use, that we don't realise or know about?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I think I mentioned elsewhere that a number of the cast iron columns were lying at the site of Forth Goods station in about the mid 80's - BR used to have a gang of men based there who demolished redundant buildings and they told me a fascinating story in 1977.... :wink:
pasco

Post by pasco »

is the fascinating story going to be shared...???
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Yes. In 1977 I noticed that the viaduct adjacent to the site of Forth Goods station in Newcastle had large NER circular enamel numberplates above each arch. I sent a letter to Noel Herbert the BR Stores Controller in York asking if I could could buy one. He sent me an invoice and receipt and I turned up and asked the BR guys in the Portakabin if I could borrow their stepladder, and we got talking about railwayana. They told me that in the 1960's they were sent to demolish Falloden station on the ECML in Northumberland and they found a large station nameboard "FALLODEN" made of stone with lead letters, They decided it might be of some value and loaded it onto their dumper and drove it to the corner of a nearby field where they buried it under soil..................and they never went back.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

PinzaC55 wrote:. They told me that in the 1960's they were sent to demolish Falloden station on the ECML in Northumberland and they found a large station nameboard "FALLODEN" made of stone with lead letters, They decided it might be of some value and loaded it onto their dumper and drove it to the corner of a nearby field where they buried it under soil..................and they never went back.
You do realise that hoards of forum members are now heading for Christon Bank with their metal detectors!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Ha ha I thought of doing that myself many times! It would make a lovely garden ornament.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Pinza & 60041 above. I have seen two different ways of spelling Falloden in various articles. Im sure when the last remaining part of the station the signal box by then down graded to a gate box was spelled Falloden on its board. The other spelling was Fallodon. Any opinions?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Is there meant to be a difference in the spellings because I can't see one?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

52D wrote:Pinza & 60041 above. I have seen two different ways of spelling Falloden in various articles. Im sure when the last remaining part of the station the signal box by then down graded to a gate box was spelled Falloden on its board. The other spelling was Fallodon. Any opinions?
I think it may be one of those cases where the railway spelling may be a little different from the local spelling - as, I think, "Eaglescliffe" station was incorrectly named after "Egglescliffe" village but the spelling stuck. I would say that whatever the signabox nameboard showed would be right. An ex friend had a postcard of the station and it was a lovely miniature version of the stations on the main line.
BTW I just looked at Ken Hoole's book "Railway Stations Of The North East" and Ken has it down as "FALLODON"....."groan".