Manors Railway Station, Newcastle

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

lar1976
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Manors Railway Station, Newcastle

Post by lar1976 »

Managed to obtain the Lost stations book featuring Manors, good pictures and amazing that to get through to the existing platforms where trains called you had to walk through the wreck of the main station entrance. Still I think Manors and New Bridge Street goods station could fill a book on there own.
pasco
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by pasco »

I agree - book is great. And yeah, there could definitely be a book about Manors on its own.
Who's starting the first chapter? :D
pasco

Post by pasco »

Just found this site by chance - some brilliant photos of Manors looking sad and unloved....

http://www.eccentricsleevenotes.com/New ... 65671).htm
Jonathan1973

Post by Jonathan1973 »

Well done Pasco! Those are some fantastic interior shots you have discovered. What a state the poor old place had fallen into by the end.

Happy Easter.

Jonathan
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I get an "Error 404"when I click that link.
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

PinzaC55 wrote:I get an "Error 404"when I click that link.
Try: http://www.eccentricsleevenotes.com/New ... 65671).htm
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Cheers that worked! Some very evocative photo's there, especially the one of Platform 1 all lit up with no track. :lol:
thc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by thc »

I have read all 18 pages and I am extremely fascinated by 'Manors'. My interest has been stimulated by the range of different interests expressed by contributors and also the detailed memories that have been documented.
I wonder whether someone can tell me details of the present track layout that stretches from the now disused Jesmond station down to the 'Metro' [underground] Manors?
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

thc wrote:I have read all 18 pages and I am extremely fascinated by 'Manors'. My interest has been stimulated by the range of different interests expressed by contributors and also the detailed memories that have been documented.
I wonder whether someone can tell me details of the present track layout that stretches from the now disused Jesmond station down to the 'Metro' [underground] Manors?
It's used for empty stock working to and from the car sheds.

Last edited by Percy Main on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by thc »

Thank you very much for that! Have there ever been any through workings over the curve by enthusiasts' specials or diversions?
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

thc wrote:Thank you very much for that! Have there ever been any through workings over the curve by enthusiasts' specials or diversions?
I am aware of at least one enthusiasts' special, but unfortunately I wasn't on it.
Arpster
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Arpster »

I was once lucky enough to go around this curve whilst doing a GPS and photo survey of the line about ten years ago. The Metro staff aboard the train referred to it as "The Screaming Curve" because of the horrible noise the wheel flanges made whilst traversing it due to the extremely tight radius. I can't remember if I have any photos anywhere, but I do remember that it pops out right at the end of the Coast-bound platform in Manors metro station.

The entry for Manors North (and the rest of the Blyth and Tyne system) is now up on Disused Stations:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/ma ... ndex.shtml

Or for the whole B&T network:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/feat ... ndex.shtml

All the best,

Arp
elliott
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by elliott »

Whilst looking for info about Manors, I stumbled on to this thread and found out some interesting stuff and thought i'd share.

Walk through of how it must have looked,

Map of Station
Courtesy of disused-stations.org.uk

Aerial with rough guide

Courtesy of Jonathan1973, LNER.info

Courtesy of Michael Brady, disused-stations.org.uk

Straight ahead in this photo is the bottom of the steps up to platforms 7 & 8, while wall to the left is Croft Lane Subway

Above this room was a skylight (the red circle on the aerial map) now concreted over. If you look at the 2 metal air vent bits, these are visible on the now unused part of the platform

You can also see the outline of where the old stairs and signal box once were

Marked in red

Courtesy of disused-stations.org.uk

You can see the outline of the old signal box and where the signal was attached to the ground.

If you had continued through the Croft Lane Subway you would have exited where Manors Carpark is, the entrance was blocked up as it obviously went nowhere once this was built and you had to walk back down to the front of the Holy Jesus Hospital

You can see the lighter sandstone and the concrete lintel.
thc
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by thc »

Thanks for that, very well documented and illustrated. When I am next in Newcastle , I shall visit this area.
lar1976
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by lar1976 »

Saw this and what appears to be the Island Platform at Manors with articulated electric set in the 30s/40s, looks very busy and from recollection the metalwork above the stair case ties in with the location also? https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/hi ... 196042.amp