Working timetable

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Working timetable

Post by burnie »

I have bought a copy of the Marylebone to Sheffield time table dated September 1953, very interesting reading but I have a question or two, at the top of the table is class and description. I guess H is for freight not braked and C looks to be perishable as the fish trains are C, but the others are a bit of a guess and the descriptions are not always obvious. Anyone have any information?
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Working timetable

Post by WTTReprinter »

Hi Burnie.

Under BR, it sought to standardize the train classification system and in 1950 introduced the system you see in use.
Class - Type
A - Express passenger
B - Ordinary passenger
C - Empty stock, Parcels, Fish, Milk, Meat or fully pipe fitted express goods (automatic brake on half the vehicles)
D - Express freight with partly fitted with automatic brake on a third of the vehicles.
E - Express freight with not less than four automatic brake fitted vehicles connected to the brake pipe.
F - Express freight NOT fitted with continuous brake
G - Light engine or engine and up to two brake vans.
H - Through freight
J - Mineral or empty wagon train
K - Pick-up freight.

I have the official notice for the introduction of this system. I must scan it and post it on my website!
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Thanks Brian, should have guessed you would know, I worked out a couple of them as I remember the trains going past our house, what is interesting is that some of the trains times didn't change and some did, my Dad reckoned he could set his watch by the York to Bournemouth up train.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I use to like those BRITISH RAILWAYS Working Time Tables with each region having it's own regional coloured WTT cover for example the Eastern Region was dark blue the London Midland Region was maroon the Western Region was brown the Southern Region was green the North Eastern Region was orange and the Scottish Region was a light blue , then there was Passenger only WTTs along with Mandatory Freight WTTs & Non-Mandatory Freight WTTs.

The difference between Mandatory freight and Non-Mandatory freight WTTs was Mandatory freight would ALWAYS RUN and Non-Mandatory Freight would ONLY RUN WHEN REQUIRED when there was traffic for that train.

A lot of those WTTs actually made quite interesting reading believe it or not.

Mickey
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

I just need to try and work out what wagons/coaches they pulled now!! Have a pretty good idea of the locos as there's lots of photos around.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

Hi Burnie.

Robert Carroll runs a Yahoo Group for coaching stock and he has a large collection of carriage workings that he has scanned for free download.
If you join that group you can access the downloads.
I also think he may be a member of this forum and so might send you the list of downloads via PM.
The Yahoo Group is:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BRC ... s/messages

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I can confirm Robert is on this forum and he has a particular interest in GC main line matters in the era you are modelling.

robertcwp is his Forum name.

John
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Thanks gents for your help.