European ferry wagons running in britain

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

European ferry wagons running in britain

Post by Nova »

I know that some european wagons could be seen in Britain especially in 70s onwards. but would it have been possible to see, let's say a single ferry wagon of french design mixed in with a typical mixed goods on route to the required destination in the 50s and 60s. or would they generally be transported in a single train to a given location before being transferred to british frieght wagons and sent to their final destinations?

additionally I would be grateful if examples of European HO scale wagons suitable for representing ferry wagons could be provided
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
53C
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: European ferry wagons running in britain

Post by 53C »

Working for a company associated with the Train Ferry business in the late 60's Large British and foreign owned ferry wagons
were travelling via Harwich and Dover Ferry Ports to the UK Inland ferry depots for discharge and loading. L.I.F.T(London International Ferry Terminal in Stratford? London being one destination, followed after that by the Manchester M.I.F.T and other depots.
Some wagons also were in use P..S to P.S (Private siding)Europe to U.K and v/v.These movements have taken place from when the Train Ferries started operating. Large numbers of Vans on a daily basis moved. So all types could be considered.
Around that time late 60/early 70's the Private large four Axle 80 ton Gross Vans(50 ton payload) started to appear. The German Cargowagon and V.T.G wagons to name some early ones. These were in use all over UK/Continent including as far a Scotland.A raft of four together was not unusual.
Hope that information is of some assistance.
Nova

Post by Nova »

53C wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:24 pm
...These were in use all over UK/Continent including as far a Scotland. A raft of four together was not unusual.
so it's not out of the realm of possibility to see a small group of continental ferry wagons marshalled in with a fast goods making its way up north via the ECML? and vice-versa making its way back down south over the same route
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

53C

Post by 53C »

It's quite possible you would have seen groups of Continental wagons up and down the East Coast mainline. Freight moved
over all of the U.K,especially bulk/large loads with factories depots being rail connected. P.Sidings..
Ordinary wagons eg Large British two axle 20 ton payload vans would be seen plus continental origin vans enroute to and from their home country.
The large 80 ton wagons several loaded for destination continent via Tees yard
for shipment Harwich /Zeebrugge. These would be routed from the inward discharge point empty to the loading place .
You have a wide choice of things that would have run not only East Coast main Line but via other main Routes.
Hope that helps you a little.
Nova

Post by Nova »

53C wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 pm It's quite possible you would have seen groups of Continental wagons up and down the East Coast mainline. Freight moved
over all of the U.K,especially bulk/large loads with factories depots being rail connected. P.Sidings..
Ordinary wagons eg Large British two axle 20 ton payload vans would be seen plus continental origin vans enroute to and from their home country.
The large 80 ton wagons several loaded for destination continent via Tees yard
for shipment Harwich /Zeebrugge. These would be routed from the inward discharge point empty to the loading place .
You have a wide choice of things that would have run not only East Coast main Line but via other main Routes.
Hope that helps you a little.
yes it does

Nova

Post by Nova »

53C wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 pm It's quite possible you would have seen groups of Continental wagons up and down the East Coast mainline. Freight moved
so would I be able to use wagons like these as reasonable approximations of the types of wagons used, they will most likely be repainted to have the correct markings denoting use in Anglo-European ferry services?

53C

Post by 53C »

Very possible that what you have re marked would be possible. The large British 2 axle vans and the bigger 80 tons
vans were what I came across in my day. Others were in use for certain . As said you have a wide choice to choose from.
The train ferries from Harwich to Zeebrugge and the Dover rail ferries sailed very regularly ,a huge number of wagons would
be moving each week in and out.