Hadley Wood

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Hadley Wood

Post by Atso »

Hi John,

The Hadley Wood Association has a gallery on their website. One of the pictures is interesting as it is a view taken from around the area of the signal box looking north that shows the head shunt still in place. The caption states that it is a 1950s picture and that coal was still being delivered at that date. I can't vouch for exactly when the picture was taken or if the sidings by the station are still in place or being used (but why keep the head shunt for all that time if they're not?) but the V2 is carrying a BR smoke box number plate.

You'll have to scroll through the images (some nice pictures, mostly non-railway related) but the gallery can be found here: http://www.hadleywood.org.uk/gallery.html
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

ATSO, enjoyed the look around Hadley Wood and it's History, but we're all waiting for the elusive picture of Hadley Wood taken from above the portal of the North tunnel looking south.

As a 11 year old I used to take the tube from Wood Green to Cockfoster's and walk to the 'famous' bridge just south of 'Greenwood' box. The box had gone with the widening of the track, but it was a great place to watch trains, sitting under the bridge, you were very close to the action, Up goods and suburban trains were only a few feet away, the up main wasn't that much further, as the smoke hit the underside of the bridge the smoke would curl around behind you, no wonder we were always getting told off for coming home dirty. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:02 am ATSO, enjoyed the look around Hadley Wood and it's History, but we're all waiting for the elusive picture of Hadley Wood taken from above the portal of the North tunnel looking south.
Hi Manna,

I'm glad you enjoyed browsing the gallery - it is so nice that the Hadley Wood Association took the time to compile this. I agree about that elusive picture from the North tunnel. I have come across a similar view but from 1899 (sorry it isn't mine so I can't post it due to copyright). Interestingly, you can't see the sidings in that either as the combination of the cutting and structures hides it - the sidings were to the right of the last span of the bridge (looking north) and not next to the platform.

Yesterday evening, I exchanged a couple of emails with a local resident who has been researching the area in general (and I think compiled the gallery images). I understand that the sidings were initially put down in 1885 to allow to delivery of materials for the construction of houses (part of the conditions for the GNR building the station in the first place). He also provided me with a quote from a book 'Hadley Wood' by Nancy Clark (published 1968).

“The siding behind the down platform of the station, having fulfilled its purpose of receiving building materials, now became the general goods yard for Hadley Wood. There was a coal order office in Crescent West at the top of the access slope, where coal could be ordered to be delivered in Hadley Wood, direct from the truck. Surplus quantities of hay from Beech Hill Park (now the golf club) and Greenwood estates were despatched from Hadley Wood from there. Other goods could be sent to and despatched from Hadley Wood by rail direct. The goods yard was closed after the Second World War; some time before that there ceased to be a station-master attached to Hadley Wood and living next to the station at No.1 Crescent East. Henceforward the Potters Bar station-master had charge of Hadley Wood Station also.”

Now if only I could find a picture of the front of the signal box/covered ground frame...
manna wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:02 am As a 11 year old I used to take the tube from Wood Green to Cockfoster's and walk to the 'famous' bridge just south of 'Greenwood' box. The box had gone with the widening of the track, but it was a great place to watch trains, sitting under the bridge, you were very close to the action, Up goods and suburban trains were only a few feet away, the up main wasn't that much further, as the smoke hit the underside of the bridge the smoke would curl around behind you, no wonder we were always getting told off for coming home dirty. :D
Being born thirteen years too late to witness regular steam on the mainlines, I envy you for having been able to see such things - thank you so much for sharing the memories.

My father used to spot with his brothers at Oakley Park in the 1960's - unfortunately none of them can recall much about this.
Steve