Brighton goes all electric!

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Brighton goes all electric!

Post by sandwhich »

On January 1st 1933 electric trains started to run into Brighton Station on this years May WTT with changes to the East Coastway services it looks as though it will after 85 years become an all electric station.
Mickey

Re: Brighton goes all electric!

Post by Mickey »

The old Brighton line was an obvious early candidate for electrification.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

So what's happening to the direct Ashford Service?
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

The service is going to be split into two parts, an electric service from Brighton to Hastings with the diesel service running from Eastbourne to Ashford, this means that between Eastbourne and Hastings there will be three services an hour instead of two.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Thanks for that, when is it due to start because I saw a 2-car DMU at Falmer from the A27 last night, come to think of it saw the blue/grey 313 near South Ease on it's way to Newhaven Town as well. At least there is a bit of eastern down here not that they are appreciated. I think that some would prefer the old 2-BIL's.
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

Its due to start in the May WTT. They may well be able to provide more seating on the Brighton to Hastings services but if they insist on using 2 car diesel units between Ashford to Eastbourne then as far as Hastings where it often gets overcrowded as I know from experience then that problem will not go away.