Railway Art Exhibition - 19th August to 30th September 2018 - Locomotion, Shildon, County Durham

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Railway Art Exhibition - 19th August to 30th September 2018 - Locomotion, Shildon, County Durham

Post by Robpulham »

The NRM at Locomotion is hosting an exhibition of my good lady's painting. The exhibition opens oin a couple of weeks on the 19th of August and runs through to the 30th of September.

If you are in the vicinity do pop in and have a look.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Railway Art Exhibition - 19th August to 30th September 2018 - Locomotion, Shildon, County Durham

Post by Robpulham »

Oh how your accent can get you into trouble, well not really trouble but it had an amusing outcome.

Best of British Magazine did a wonderful article for Chris about her exhibition and the reproduction of her paintings are really superb for a magazine.

Chris he had an interview over the telephone, where she was describing suffering and recovering from ME. In the article it makes reference to Chris having to give up her job due to illness and recovering from trouble with her "knee" so somewhere in translation "ME" became "My Knee". It doesn't detract from a wonderful centre spread article but it did make us laugh.

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Railway Art Exhibition - 19th August to 30th September 2018 - Locomotion, Shildon, County Durham

Post by 52D »

deaf southerners lol.
P.S.
10 out of 10 for your ladies art.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Rob, The link on the front page of your website to your wife's site, "Chris Pulham Railway Artist" is underlined but doesn't appear to be an active hyperlink...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Richard,

I will take a look
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Here is a bit of a preview of what's on offer should you make it along to Shildon during the exhibition.

img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1840/432 ... 91dc_k.jpg[/img]

We had a wonderful day yesterday, and it's something that both of us will never forget.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Had a quick look today. Very impressive and very interesting.
Hope to have more time on Friday, which is my day for running tours.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

drmditch wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:47 pm Had a quick look today. Very impressive and very interesting.
Hope to have more time on Friday, which is my day for running tours.
I am glad that you found it both impressive and interesting. Feedback such a this makes all the effort worthwhile, thank you.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It does look good from the photos - I like the ES1 with the ES1.
I'm assuming the other local photos (eg. the shunting horse with what looks like a P6 hopper) are the most popular?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Had more time today, for a fuller appreciation.

Very impressive work. I especially like the two pictures of Sir Nigel Gresley (the locomotive not its designer.) I wish I had more money!

The one on the NYMR (although in postwar LNER blue and the teak coaches it could be elsewhere and on the main line) has a very interesting representation of the exhaust (when working hard?). Although - come to think of it, it can only be in preservation because I don't think it had a double kylchap until after 1947.

The larger picture, with the canal bridge frame, and the reflection in the canal is amazing. Painting the locomotive once would be good enough, but to do it again upside down is really clever.

You may also like to know that one lady on my tour this afternoon was asking about how the products of the British locomotive industry were exported. I was able to show her your picture of the NB locomotive being loaded onto a ship!

Thank you very much.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thank You for the wonderful feedback.

if anyone else is wondering what you are missing then maybe this will help make up your mind whether to visit or not. Our neighbour very kindly offered to video the opening event and make up a short film from it

https://vimeo.com/287879978
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Anyone wishing to go an see Chris's Railart Exhibition at Locomotion, you only have a week and a half left. It ends on the 30th of September.

If you go along this coming weekend it's the Autumn Steam Gala and the Guest loco is Oliver Cromwell.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

It was really great to meet Caroline in the flesh today at Locomotion and talk cattle wagons (among other things).
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Since moving house painting took a back seat for quite some time but se has recently been able to finish a coupl of paintings that she has had on the go since 2018

The first of Chris's paintings hasn't been seen in public before,

It's entitled "Heading to the Starting Gate" and is the last of Chris's large canvases at 24" by 36"

Rather selfishly, this one isn't for sale it's mine 8)

The original photo copyright Simon Lathlane and hosted on the David Hay site https://davidheyscollection-static.mysh ... 6a9a3e.jpgwas quite dark in places so Chris has really brought it to life and colour.
She kept saying never again but I have persuaded her to do another view of KX from yet another period black and white photo which I will share in due course.
Heading to the Starting Gate.JPG