signal boxes

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

widnesian
LNER N2 0-6-2T

signal boxes

Post by widnesian »

in all my research into boxes in the Widnes area, 2 have always defeated me, 2 boxes on the Widnes Loop Line (the Great Central & Midland Joint Railway (Widnes Branch), Moor Lane Junction and Tanhouse Crossing. I've attached 2 photos I have of these boxes, is there any enthusiasts out there who can help, what type of box, when built etc, any help will be much appreciated, thank you
Richie.[img][/image]
Attachments
Moor%20Lane%20Box%20RM%20Collection.jpg
Tanhouse%20Lane%20box%20R%20Mercer%20Coll.jpg
steam in the blood
meldrum
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: signal boxes

Post by meldrum »

Hi,
Just been looking at my copy of the CLC Signal Box Register by Mike Addison and the late John Dixon published in 1996.The Widnes loop is included in it for completeness.
It does not give an opening date for Tanhouse Lane LC but it was noted as being open by 1890. It was built by the signalling contractors Stevens.
It appears that at the time of compiling the register no early information or even a photograph of Moor Lane Junction had come to light so even the type of SB is not given although looking at your photo it appears to be of later MSL/GCR origin. By 06/12/56 it was no longer a Block post.
Both boxes closed with the loop on 6/12 1964.
The Widnes loop although only accessible from the CLC main line was not CLC property consequently all signalling work was done by the GCR/LNER.
For maintenance and renewals the CLC had there own S&T staff before 1936 and because of the above did not cover here so the lineman for the Widnes loop post grouping was an LNER man Fred Parrot who had apparently come from the former WM&CQR. He also covered and was based on the former GC lines to Wigan and St Helens.
Hope this helps.
widnesian
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: signal boxes

Post by widnesian »

hello,
great help, some information come to light on Moor Lane Junction box, it was a GC type 5 of about 1893, also got some sketchy history of the construction of the line and it states "early boxes built by Stephens & co would include Tanhouse Lane, so this bears out your comments. History on the GC&MJR, the Widnes Loop is almost non-existent so what scraps I can find hopefully I can put together a story that will fit what is known, many thanks,
Richie
steam in the blood