Canine Conumdrum

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Canine Conumdrum

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I see the following item is now appearing in a preserved line’s 2019 timetable leaflet
“Dogs
With the large increase in passenger numbers, as well as unfamiliar sounds,movements and smells,we are finding that dogs are becoming distressed.
Unfortunately this has resulted in a number of incidents with other passengers and volunteers. Whilst you may bring dogs on our trains,subject to the purchase of a dog ticket (£3)we advise you to leave them at home wherever possible.You will receive a handout on your day of travel telling you more” (my italics)

As a normal non doggy passenger I wondered how this might go down with any dog owners
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Canine Conumdrum

Post by richard »

I guess I don't see the problem. I don't automatically think our dog should go everywhere, and a steam railway isn't somewhere I would automatically think would be a good idea. On the other hand if I was local, I could imagine a nice day out could be to go for a walk and take the train back - and a dog would enjoy that (or the first half anyway!).
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Canine Conumdrum

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

It seems there’s often a mess to tidy up and a child was bitten recently