PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING THIS ENGINE PART

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

STEPTOE1967
NER Y7 0-4-0T

PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING THIS ENGINE PART

Post by STEPTOE1967 »

Hi , im new to this forum , i collect railway memorabilia but mainly books and publications , i recently bought some auction lots and have a solid brass spirit levell measuring roughly 5 inches high with a diameter of just under 2 inches , glass insides with liquid , there are two marks on the brass one is the london transport or underground symbol but im not sure about the other , freinds have told me that this levell is from a traction engine or steam engine but with the marks it must be from a locomotive , does anybody know exactly what it is , im not interested in the value but i just cant find any information on it , many thanks
Attachments
Picture4.png
Picture6.png
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING THIS ENGINE PART

Post by richard »

The marks look like a Plimsoll Line to me (ie. as used on ships to mark safe loading).
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

STEPTOE1967 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:52 pm there are two marks on the brass one is the london transport or underground symbol
richard wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 pm The marks look like a Plimsoll Line to me (ie. as used on ships to mark safe loading).
Did LT ever have a Submarine for the lines under the Thames. .
meldrum
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by meldrum »

richard wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 pm The marks look like a Plimsoll Line to me (ie. as used on ships to mark safe loading).
Yes I agree Richard, my first thought. A piece of shipping memoriabila perhaps athough how it was used I'm not sure!
STEPTOE1967
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by STEPTOE1967 »

Many thanks for the information , your right the markings are a plimsoll line , very interesting item but im a bit disapointed that its not rail related , thanks again
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

I can answer what the markings are. As has been correctly identified already, the 'London Underground' symbol is a Plimsol line.

The upper edge of the centre bar marks the deepest that you can load a ship in summertime in salt (sea) water.

The marks to the right (like a letter 'F' gone badly wrong) are the deepest marks for the following;-

Tropical fresh water
Fresh water - Tropical (salt water)
............... - Summer (note it is level with the Plimsol Line centre bar)
.............. - Winter
.............. - Winter North Atlantic

As for what the object is - I have no idea.

I have never seen one on a ship and cannot conceive of any possible use for anything like it onboard.
Plus the markings would not serve any useful purpose either, so I suspect it is intended as a decorative item for sale to unsuspecting tourists!

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious