Railway Mania Podcast Ep.21 - Narrow Gauge, Not Narrow Minded (with Ben Powell and Rob Rossington)

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Corbs
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Railway Mania Podcast Ep.21 - Narrow Gauge, Not Narrow Minded (with Ben Powell and Rob Rossington)

Post by Corbs »

Hello LNER fans, I do hope it is alright to post this here. There is a small link to the NER in the first episode but in any case I hope that this podcast will provide you with some entertainment!
Railway Mania Thumbnail SMALL 2a.jpg
It thrills me to announce the launch of RAILWAY MANIA, a Podcast aimed at fans of Railways of all kinds. My aim is to provide enthusiasts with something entertaining and maybe even educational. Hopefully it's something you can pop on in the background whilst you are modelling, for example.

The focus is mainly going to be on the UK scene but will encompass the world when the subject demands it.

Railway Mania will cover everything from Model Railways to the Prototype, Mountain to Underground Railways and everything in between.

Episode 1 is around the 12 minute mark to give a light introduction, future episodes will likely grow in length. The main thing is that one should be able to pick it up and put it down at any time.

Click here to go to the first episode on AudioBoom, where there is also the option to subscribe on Apple Podcasts so that it appears on your phone:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7252153-railway-mania

If you would prefer a YouTube link to subscribe to or watch on a one-off, here's the Railway Mania channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDKWSF ... MjZix6yRGw
RMPod-Ep1-SMALLHeader1a.jpg
Episode 1 focuses on the real ‘Railway Mania’, the craze in 1840s Britain to build as many railways as possible, and the consequences when that bubble burst…

Most of all, I hope it is enjoyable.

Thanks!
Last edited by Corbs on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:58 am, edited 16 times in total.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: RAILWAY MANIA - Podcast for Railway Enthusiasts

Post by Trestrol »

Don't know if its just me but after the introductory music the audio is almost non existent even with the volume up high.
Corbs

Post by Corbs »

Hmm, that's odd. It did not come up during testing. May I ask if that is using headphones or speakers?
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

Headphones
Corbs

Post by Corbs »

I’ve dropped you a PM with a few questions, want to get this right.

EDIT: Sorted :)
Corbs

Post by Corbs »

Morning all! Something that made me very happy was that the podcast was approved by Apple podcasts, so if you have an iPhone and use the Podcast App, you can search for Railway Mania and it will appear [​IMG]

Meanwhile, things are getting a little... bendy as episode 2 focuses on the dawn of articulated locomotives and two types in particular - the Meyer and the Fairlie.

Click HERE to listen to the episode on Audioboom:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7258577-fairlie-good-idea

Alternatively click HERE to access the YouTube version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFw6VcXCgTA
RMPod-Ep2-Header1c.jpg
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Trestrol wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:18 pm Don't know if its just me but after the introductory music the audio is almost non existent even with the volume up high.
I can hear the broadcast, but I have to have the volume on my laptop as high as possible in order to do so.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Corbs

Post by Corbs »

Aw :( I tried to mix the audio as loud as I could without peaking/distortion or hissing. I tested it on my laptop speakers and headphones and it was ok.
I think Trestrol's issue with the audio sorted itself out.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

It did but when i play it in the car i have to have the volume up quite high.
Corbs

Post by Corbs »

I'm going to mix future episodes louder, thanks for the feedback. Have invested in some new microphones to hopefully improve the sound quality.

EDIT: I actually discovered that I can replace the audio on the AudioBoom versions (alas not the YouTube ones). I went ahead and remixed the first two episodes using a multiband compressor to bring the levels up, and these should be the versions that are available now. Thank you very much for the feedback which enables me to improve this project.
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

That was an excellent tutorial,obviously by someone who knows his subject,I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Corbs

Post by Corbs »

52H wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:36 pm That was an excellent tutorial,obviously by someone who knows his subject,I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thank you :) I hope to release more over the coming months. If anyone has any suggestions for topics, I'd love to hear them.
I've invested in some better microphones and sound recording gear so hopefully the sound quality will improve.
Corbs

Post by Corbs »

'evenin all

In between podcast releases I'd like to fill up the gaps with more videos.This one's actually a re-release but I hope if you haven't seen it before, you enjoy it! It's from back in 2014 at The Great Goodbye in Shildon.

I mixed a bit of classical music in with Joe Duddington's retelling of the steam speed record attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FcSDWCaFVw

Mallard75-thumb-1b SMALL.jpg
Last edited by Corbs on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corbs

Post by Corbs »

Episode 3 of Railway Mania features an interview with Pat James, who came in to the hobby as an adult without having had a model railway as a child. The second half focuses on the challenge of coming out to your friends and family as a railway enthusiast, and why some people find it hard to do so.

Click here to listen to Episode 3 on Audioboom:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7272061-com ... -pat-james

Here's the link to Episode 3 on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tDoE7RDgGY

Last edited by Corbs on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

The audio is much better now.