Pullman coaches

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Pullman coaches

Post by burnie »

I have not noticed any images anywhere of Pullman coaches north of Edinburgh, did trains not make it that far north with them in the days of steam?
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Pullman coaches

Post by Mickey »

Conversely Pullman cars appeared to be marshalled into virtually every Southern Railway express that was run on there metals back in the 1920s & 1930s.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

I know the Caledonian Railway had some Pullman stock, but as far as I'm aware the neither LNER nor it's constituents ever ran Pullman trains north of Edinburgh.

Though I doubt any constituent company of the LNER, other than the Great Eastern and Great Northern, even had ANY Pullman stock.
Moors Bound
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

I know when the Deltics took over the expresses on the ECML, they stopped at Edinburgh and steam took over to Perth or Aberdeen, I just wondered if the coaches also stopped and passengers had to change.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

burnie wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:03 pm I know when the Deltics took over the expresses on the ECML, they stopped at Edinburgh and steam took over to Perth or Aberdeen, I just wondered if the coaches also stopped and passengers had to change.
Well it's probable that steam only took over on services that were supposed to carry on to Perth or Aberdeen. Presumably the Pullman services weren't intended to do so.
Moors Bound
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

I have a Working time table on the way, that might throw some light on the situation, I am modelling a station in the area, so just getting some information to aid a level of accuracy, thanks for the reply.