Apart from the LNER

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Apart from the LNER

Post by manna »

Pyewipe Junction wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:06 am
manna wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:52 am G'day Gents

I like the loco's of the South Australian Railways, 4-8-0's, 4-8-4's, 2-8-2's, and a fair few I've seen in steam.

I'm putting a lot of my pictures onto the computer, I'll try and put a few up for you.

manna
Are they 3' 6" gauge, 5' 3" gauge , or both?
G'Day Gents

Both, 3'6" 2-6-0's, 4-8-0's and 4-8-2+2-8-4 Garrett's and 5'3" 4-6-0's, 2-8-2's and 4-8-4's, 4-6-2's.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

After lot of mucking about, here are some 3'6" gauge 4-8-0's, these are 'T' class and worked right up to the end of steam on the 'Narrow gauge. Some of the Pictures were taken with a Kodak 126 Instamatic, others with my parents 35 mm camera.

manna
Attachments
T 253 at Terowie 1969.jpg
T224 on the turntable at Peterborough 1968.jpg
T240 on the Triangle at Wilmington 1969.jpg
T 181 at Port Pirie 1969.jpg
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

I have a liking for the Stanier Black 5s & 8Fs along with the WD 2-8-0 Austerities and all the B.R. standards.

WD 90272 on Goole shed- http://www.whathappenedtosteam.com/wp-c ... e-shed.jpg

8F 48045 with a Fowler tender- http://www.whathappenedtosteam.com/wp-c ... 06/242.jpg
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Thanks to all contributors. I’m glad I posted the original question.
Since my day out with Clan Line I’ve discovered the beauty of the Welsh Highland and their magnificent Garratts. Including a rather nice chime whistle. Not so much A4 ...more a Britannia
PLUS that outstanding Snowdonian scenery
How lucky are we to have such an abundance of riches 51 years after the end of BR steam?

Thanks to all involved out there
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

SAR also had a lot of Rx 4-6-0's, here's a couple 207, has been preserved, in running order.

manna
Attachments
Rx 207 at Strathalbyn 1969.jpg
Preserved Rx 191 in a childrens play area, Victor Harbour mid 1960's.jpg
lu4472ke
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lu4472ke »

For me personally I also like the LMS (which is why I model around Cambridge) but apart from that I like most things Southern, the SECR being my favourite constituent

I'm also a fan of Narrow gauge
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Attachments
404 with W25 and 26 coaches head to Peterborough 1969.jpg
702 at Mile End museum 1970.jpg
520 class 526 at Aldgate 1969.jpg
Tom Barr Smith, Mile End 1969.jpg
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Thank you Manna.
Do you know of any useful history of Australian railways?

As regards my own preferences, after the LNER (largely the NEA), I like the LMS Stanier and post-Stanier locomotives. I do admire the 're-built' Royal Scots, but haven't yet managed to get a model of one. The O6 on my railway is such a good-looking engine, although probably cleaner than it should be. The Urie and Maunsell locomotives of the SR I also like, although apart from a brief part of WW2 I can't think of any reason for running them.

For some reason the GWR, despite being the progenitor of the above WAS, leaves me cold. Going underneath Lode Star (?) in the York RM a few months ago gave fresh insight into the attribution of 'watchmaking' to the Churchward machines.

As to pre-grouping railways, obviously the NER is first, last, and everywhere - although I suppose some credit must be given to the GN. ( And to the Robinson engines of the GC and who could not admire the Reid Atlantics.)

I'm happy to view the works of Crewe from a safe distance - so as to avoid being bombarded by fragmenting tyres!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

drmditch, I don't know of any railways histories, of Australia, as each State had it's own railway, and therefore very complex. Queensland Railways were built to 3'6" gauge, New South Wales, built to 5'3", then converted to Standard gauge, Victorian Railways, were Standard gauge (eventually) to Sydney, the rest was 5'3", South Australia, Main lines built to 5'3", smaller lines built to 3'6", some were converted to 5'3", when traffic increased. The the Commonwealth Government, built the line linking SA to Western Australia, but Standard gauge. Which meant, SA had three gauges in some towns, including three gauge turntables.

So best to Google each state railway histories one at a time.

Gladstone shed, pictured here, shows a three gauge engine shed.

manna
Attachments
Three gauge loco shed.
Three gauge loco shed.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Owing to my having been a frequent traveller over their metals as a youngster, I still have a liking for the Great Western.

Trains to South Wales usually left Paddington at five to the hour and Mum and Dad would catch the last one out at 11:55 pm to Cardiff. This was the 'milk run' that left the main line to meander through the night via places like Bewdley, Stroud, etc. and never seemed to exceed 40 mph. We'd arrive in Cardiff at about 6 am, Mum and Dad having slept most of the way. My hammock was the luggage rack netting - quite ample for a toddler.

I still remember the almost magical experience of it all - the clanking of milk churns on a platform at God knows where in the middle of the night, the wafting of steam from a grubby Hall (it always seemed to be a Hall) up front, voices in the mist, the guard's whistle, etc.