Apart from the LNER

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Apart from the LNER

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

What other railway or locos draws your attention?
I think this subject has been touched upon previously and I have a sneaking admiration for Bulleid Pacifics and the sunny Southern.
Last Saturday I managed to finally achieve steam haulage beyond Salisbury and 35028 Clan Line did the honours from Waterloo to Exeter Central.
All rather marvellous and a lovely rasping ‘chat’ from up front kept Honiton bank in its place.
Nice to be out and about seeing East Devon scenery and a loco (albeit rebuilt) that had a tenuous link to HNG
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Apart from the LNER

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

I think this should be in the 'Railway Chat' section, but never mind.

Like you, I am a fan of the Southern, especially the Urie LSWR and Maunsell locos, which I find especially pleasing with their aesthetically-tapered boilers and 'blinkers'. If only Gresley had been able to produce something as good as the 'Schools'. No fancy valve gears, just a solid concept well executed.

I like the Bulleid Pacifics as well. It must have come as a great shock when they trounced the opposition in the 1948 Interchange trials. To hell with fuel consumption! Of course, Bulleid didn't have to worry about that, as the Southern was a wealthy company (even after WWII) and would probably have eliminated steam entirely by 1960 had nationalisation not intervened.
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by sandwhich »

If I remember right did not some ex LNER V2 2-6-2 locomotives find themselves on the Bournemouth route during the early 1950s as a temporary replacement for the Bullied pacifics because a major fault was discovered that they had to be taken out of service for a time.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

All standard gauge railways are interesting. High points elsewhere, the works of M. Chapelon and US steam practise.
Pyewipe Junction

sandwhich wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:23 am If I remember right did not some ex LNER V2 2-6-2 locomotives find themselves on the Bournemouth route during the early 1950s as a temporary replacement for the Bullied pacifics because a major fault was discovered that they had to be taken out of service for a time.
Your point being?
Pyewipe Junction

From Wikipedia:
'On 24 April 1953, the crank axle on the central driving wheel of No. 35020 "Bibby Line" fractured whilst approaching Crewkerne station at speed. No-one was injured, but the incident resulted in the withdrawal of all Merchant Navy class locomotives from service whilst the cause was ascertained. An examination of other class members showed that the fracture, caused by metal fatigue, was a common fault. To cover the motive power shortage caused by the mass withdrawal of thirty locomotives, classes from other British Railways regions were drafted in to deputise. The incident resulted in a redesign and replacement of the crank axle.'

From memory, they were out of action for a few weeks only.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Southern locos mainly the Bulleid rebuilt Merchant Navy's and the unrebuilt & rebuilt West Country/Battle of Britain light pacifics along with the Bulleid Q1s (Coffee pots, Biscuit tins or Charlie's) the King Arthur's, Nelsons, Schools, & Maunsell 2-6-0 mixed traffic locos plus a few others usually the tender locos.

Western locos the Stars, Castles, Kings, Halls, Granges, Manors, Counties, 28XX, 47XX & 57XX 0-6-0 pannier tanks and a few others.

LMS locos Scots, re-built Scots, Coronations, Princess Royals, Duchesses, Jubilees, Black 5s, 8Fs, 'Jinty' 0-6-0 tanks' along with Fowler 4Fs the Stanier & Fairburn 2-6-4 tanks & Ivatt 2-6-2 tanks.

B.R. all the standard classes especially the 'Brits' along with the standard 5s, 4s, 9Fs & standard 4 2-6-4 tanks.

On the whole I tend to prefer locos with a 'Belpaire firebox' and a tapered boiler although not exclusively and that doesn't stop me liking the Southern King Arthur 4-6-0s & Schools 4-4-0s.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Pyewipe not just V2's seem to remember quite a few B1's drafted in to the South Eastern section of the Southern Region from Northern/Scottish&GE sheds, crews after a short period found them "punchy"& up for the task on the Kent Coast trains,anybody who witnessed them on the up Grimsby/Cleethorpes expresses thru Potters Bar& New Southgate can vouch for that, not that different to the short spell of the Brits@ these points.
Pyewipe Junction

rockinjohn wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:56 am Hi Pyewipe not just V2's seem to remember quite a few B1's drafted in to the South Eastern section of the Southern Region from Northern/Scottish&GE sheds, crews after a short period found them "punchy"& up for the task on the Kent Coast trains,anybody who witnessed them on the up Grimsby/Cleethorpes expresses thru Potters Bar& New Southgate can vouch for that, not that different to the short spell of the Brits@ these points.
This thread isn't about debating the merits of Bulleid designs against LNER designs. AAMOF I have no criticism of V2s, B1s or most other LNER locos. However the OP asked which other railways or locos of other railways people like, and I've given my reply. How about you contribute to the thread and tell us what other railways/locos you like?
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

When I watch railway archive dvds from the 1950s & 1960s I tend to watch every B.R. region except the Eastern region mainly because I am off the Eastern region of B.R. so I usually watch the railways of the other B.R. regions so there is usually a diet of either southern Bulleid pacifics or western Kings and Castles or London Midland region Black 5s and 8Fs which is alright but occasionally at a railway centre like Carlisle you get a quick look at a Gresley A3 or a V2 and I always think to myself blimey those locos were pretty good looking.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I like the loco's of the South Australian Railways, 4-8-0's, 4-8-4's, 2-8-2's, and a fair few I've seen in steam.

I'm putting a lot of my pictures onto the computer, I'll try and put a few up for you.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Pyewipe junc um..sorry only commented on "your"wikipeda reply to the orig V2 inquiry, merely pointing out that the S.E.Section of the Southern Region were very happy with the performance of the B1's compared to the V2's. if because of a shortage @ their home sheds of the V2's not wanting to release them, this may have been a civil engineers(S.R) wishes also?I assumed because this was the L.N.E.R.forum it was the line of reply required,I shall think of my other region favourite locos @ a later date,Snow plough fitted Cowlairs painted Blk5's for a start.Rgds jj
Pyewipe Junction

manna wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:52 am G'day Gents

I like the loco's of the South Australian Railways, 4-8-0's, 4-8-4's, 2-8-2's, and a fair few I've seen in steam.

I'm putting a lot of my pictures onto the computer, I'll try and put a few up for you.

manna
Are they 3' 6" gauge, 5' 3" gauge , or both?
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Pyewipe Junc on reflection its all about sharing the knowledge whats all this "and your point is" that's like been talkin to as a pupil/or bank manager would have in the 50/60's.I'm not joining a bowling club/gun club, I'm just here for knowledge& to learn just like mickey/manna &others have taught me & I'm willingly to learn &give maybe in the future.....jj
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Pyewipe Junc on reflection its all about sharing the knowledge whats all this "and your point is" that's like been talkin to as a pupil/or bank manager would have in the 50/60's.I'm not joining a bowling club/gun club, I'm just here for knowledge& to learn just like mickey/manna &others have taught me & I'm willingly to learn &give maybe in the future.....jj