Continental Signalling

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Continental Signalling

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

One of my favourite pastimes for relaxation is to watch cabride videos on YouTube. I prefer to avoid high speed trains, as you don't get much of an impression of the line or the countryside it's travelling through. I seem to have exhausted all the videos of interest for the UK and have now turned my attention to Europe, especially Switzerland and France. There's a channel called 'Railway Emotions' with lots of interesting journeys through Switzerland, both standard and narrow gauge.

I can't help the feeling that signalling on the Continent (with the exception of The Netherlands, which is similar to the UK) is overly complicated, especially in France, and tries to cover all contingencies where a simple signal with appropriate additional warnings would be better. It always seems strange to me that a train can pass ANY signal at red. Also, I've noticed that signals tend to be higher than in the UK and the aspects don't seem to be as large. At least in the videos, this makes them difficult to discern, but this may just be the angle of the camera.

On the subject of Swiss railways, all I can say is - wow! So neat and tidy, hardly any trackside weeds or shrubbery, no litter, highly intensive services run with absolute precision - I could go on and on. Obviously the Swiss love their railways and have made a commitment to them over decades, even in country areas. Unlike certain other countries I could name...
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Continental Signalling

Post by Mickey »

Regarding continental railway signalling it's all a bit baffling to try to understand what it all means especially after watching a small number of German steam videos from the 1980s?. Likewise as you observed Pyewipe on German railways as well all the semaphore signals all appear to be mounted on tall straight posts and I can't recall if I remember seeing any bracket post signals(?) and also the signal posts appear to be located on the right-hand side of the track with the semaphore arm facing 'away' from the track which looks rather strange to British eyes?. Also if two semaphore arms on the same post are showing 'off' I think that means a 'junction route ahead is clear' but I could be wrong as I am not that overly interested in continental railways to be honest.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Pyewipe Junction

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Mickey wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:33 pm Regarding continental railway signalling it's all a bit baffling to try to understand what it all means especially after watching a small number of German steam videos from the 1980s?. Likewise as you observed Pyewipe on German railways as well all the semaphore signals all appear to be mounted on tall straight posts and I can't recall if I remember seeing any bracket post signals(?) and also the signal posts appear to be located on the right-hand side of the track with the semaphore arm facing 'away' from the track which looks rather strange to British eyes?. Also if two semaphore arms on the same post are showing 'off' I think that means a 'junction route ahead is clear' but I could be wrong as I am not that overly interested in continental railways to be honest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_railway_signalling
thesignalman

Post by thesignalman »

Mickey wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:33 pm Regarding continental railway signalling it's all a bit baffling to try to understand what it all means especially after watching a small number of German steam videos from the 1980s?. Likewise as you observed Pyewipe on German railways as well all the semaphore signals all appear to be mounted on tall straight posts and I can't recall if I remember seeing any bracket post signals(?) and also the signal posts appear to be located on the right-hand side of the track with the semaphore arm facing 'away' from the track which looks rather strange to British eyes?. Also if two semaphore arms on the same post are showing 'off' I think that means a 'junction route ahead is clear' but I could be wrong as I am not that overly interested in continental railways to be honest.
There is no call for bracket signals in continental signalling as the route is not indicated, only speed. There is an animated explanation of junction signals here: https://www.signalbox.org/overseas/germany/hanau.htm

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

The German signalling system did it's job obviously but compared to British signalling practices it looks quite baffling?.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Mickey wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:47 am The German signalling system did it's job obviously but compared to British signalling practices it looks quite baffling?.
That's because you aren't an Eisenbahnknobenpunkthinundherschalber.