Demise of Edmondson Tickets ?

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Demise of Edmondson Tickets ?

Post by drmditch »

I had an interesting day on the NYMR on Monday (30th December).

Travelling from Grosmont I had to pay for my ticket at Pickering, there being a long queue (and possible internet connection problems) at Grosmont.

The nice lady who gave me a modern paper printed ticket said that the railway was no longer able to obtain Edmondson card tickets. Their only supplier (and I think she said that they were in the Hebrides) had ceased production.
I note that there is a web connection for a printer, but don't know if it is still current.

Has anybody else heard anything about this?
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Demise of Edmondson Tickets ?

Post by 60526 »

I think that where there is a will there is a way. Of railways that I have visited in recent times the Severn Valley, Swanage, Isle of Wight and Bluebell issued Edmonson tickets, the latter certainly has it's own printing machine(s) and provides them for some other railways. 2392 is on here, perhaps he has better knowledge of the NYMR.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

This is recent. I have my Edmondson Ticket for the 3rd November 2019.
(When the B1 barked it's way up Goathland bank with a splendid female crew.)
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

I have looked after ordering Edmonson ticket blanks on the West Somerset Railway for about 10 years and, of course, we were able to print our own on an exBR machine in Dunster station (Around 130000 every year). However the supplier of Edmonson blanks, who is in the Netherlands, has now retired and blanks are no longer available from him. I believe there is a supplier in Switzerland but attempts to contact them have not been successful.

Because of this the West Somerset changed to electronic ticketing and paper tickets in the middle of 2019.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

As a belated reply. They have for some time now issued the newer cash register type tickets at Pickering for some years now. Whilst still using the card Edmondson type at other stations. Though there has been debate [I think of doing away across the board with the Edmondsons']. Don't really know why. Not that I use Moors tickets have a [volunteer] staff and long service passes :wink: :D
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Dumb question

Surely there is not a dark art in producing sized coloured card?

There must be some company who is capable of producing such.

Or was it really a niche operation?
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

During this lockdown the Bluebell Railway has been publishing a series of newsletters to keep people informed of what is going on. In their Bluebell Times Issue 3 was a small article on Edmondson tickets -
https://www.bluebell-railway.com/wp-con ... -final.pdf
this has been followed up in Issue 4 by
https://www.bluebell-railway.com/wp-con ... ssue-4.pdf