Is this the end of the Ribblehead viaduct?

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Is this the end of the Ribblehead viaduct?

Post by Kestrel »

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Is this the end of the Ribblehead viaduct?

Post by richard »

Click-bait headline (as with virtually all news articles that are posed as a yes/no question, the answer is "no"); and a website with more adverts than a US TV station...

(Precis of the Daily Mail article: it needs repairs: considering the heritage listing, Network Rail has applied to the relevant authorities for money)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Never mind click bait headlines, what about click bait forum topics, that only include a link to said click bait article with no summary provided by the poster?

One could almost think the purpose of such posts is to generate traffic for the site in the link.

Sawdust.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

sawdust wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:37 pm Never mind click bait headlines, what about click bait forum topics, that only include a link to said click bait article with no summary provided by the poster?

One could almost think the purpose of such posts is to generate traffic for the site in the link.

Sawdust.
I agree.

John
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

I refuse point blank to click on links to the Wail, Excess, Gruiniad, Cindy, Scum, Mirror etc these days...

I despise clickbait too - and said despising is getting worse as I get older...

But in answer to the question - no, of course it isn't the end for Ribblehead. It just needs some work done on it. No biggie really, especially as it's protected.

Mark
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Oh look what I've found: (rules update from a few years back)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9871

As others have commented, I remember Kestrel being the main culprit before. I'm locking this thread. Any more will be deleted without notice.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

AndyG adds a link to the Network Rail press release at: https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.u ... ad-viaduct

"North Yorkshire’s iconic Ribblehead viaduct will undergo important maintenance this summer to secure its future for decades to come.
The 144-year-old viaduct will have its drainage improved and brickwork restored making journeys for passenger and freight trains more reliable on the stunning Settle to Carlisle railway line.
The Great North Rail Project work will start in July and will see an investment of £2.1m in the Grade II listed feat of Victorian engineering."
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia