COVID related observations on the Fort Worth & Denver

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

COVID related observations on the Fort Worth & Denver

Post by richard »

Well, today I drove down to Fort Worth for the first time in a while - probably the first time in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex since the beginning of the year.

Wichita Falls is on the old Fort Worth & Denver route, and the highway follows the line pretty much all the way between just north of Fort Worth and Amarillo. So there are usually lots of trains to look out for. Usually a mix of block coal (Wyoming -> Texas power plants), intermodal, and mixed freight. All BNSF now, although Union Pacific have some running rights.

We saw quite a bit of traffic today on the open line, but the Fort Worth yards were spooky. It is difficult to gauge traffic levels without travelling daily for a few weeks - there might be a track occupancy up the line, or the trains are running in the same direction as you are! (yes like most US mainlines, it is single track)

Down to Fort Worth there was the usual full coal waiting just south of Wichita Falls. Then we passed three intermodals heading northbound at speed. They seemed to be shifting, and I suspect mostly empties.

On the way back, we passed a northbound coal empty waiting in a siding, being passed by a southbound full coal (the one we saw waiting earlier in the day?) and another fast on its heals. We passed the second full one as it was approaching an amber light from the train in front of it. I don't think I've seen the coal that close at speed - I wonder if they're running some kind of block operations. Run a few intermodals north, then a few coal south, etc. (obviously they often run trains in the same direction in groups but they're usually more mixed up)

Down at Tower 55 (reputedly the busiest rail place in Texas, and where the UP and BNSF cross on the level) we only saw one short mixed goods train heading towards Centennial Yard (UP's hump yard although they change the name every 10 years or so). I didn't get a chance to look at the hump yard itself, but none of the smaller yards around the crossing had anything. The only other rolling stock was the spare diesel that Amtrak keep in Fort Worth!

The biggest difference in the open country was the unused rolling stock stored on sidings. Usually there's a scattering of spine cars (intermodal or trailer). They'd all gone and were replaced by LOTS of autoracks. Something you rarely see out of use, but with the car factories pretty much shutdown (some are opening at the moment), they're all sitting idle instead of in trains and marshalling yards.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: COVID related observations on the Fort Worth & Denver

Post by Hatfield Shed »

So the American railroad traffic is still to an extent a good meter of the manufacturing economy.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: COVID related observations on the Fort Worth & Denver

Post by richard »

Yes the railroads here are almost entirely freight. So domestic industry but also the import trade (lots of intermodal) and also some coal. Coal production is dropping, but we get regular trains through here from Wyoming. Texas might be the US's largest wind generator but it still has quite a few coal plants.

For passenger traffic, Amtrak is a drop in the ocean; as are tourist operations. Commuter-style light rail (and heavy rail) is growing - DFW Metroplex now has 4 schemes of which one, DART, is building into quite a network with about half a dozen lines. 5 if you count the downtown trolley system in Dallas that runs historic vehicles. Free to use (volunteers, tips, donations and a city subsidy) and actually goes to useful places!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia