Marshalling yards

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Marshalling yards

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Just as a matter of interest, are there any marshalling yards still operating in the UK?

If not, which was the last to go?
PGBerrie

Re: Marshalling yards

Post by PGBerrie »

Healey Mills apparently lasted until 2012, although there was no marshalling for a long time, as reported here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healey_Mi ... lling_Yard
I remember that when it was built, they diverted the River Calder, which made my school's "intermediate" cross-country run a bit longer. Once built, the normal 4Fs and 2-8-0 austerities were joined by B1s and I think the occasional B14. On one occasion there was even a V2 (we could see the yard from the school).
Hump shunting has not completely disappeared in Germany, where I live. Weil-am-Rhein has a hump and trains are still pushed over it. It also has a container terminal, so container and Ro-Ro trains are made up before travelling on to Switzerland and beyond. There is also a massive yard at Pratteln just east of Basel which is in daily use.
Peter
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Very interesting info there Peter
I think you might have meant B16 instead of B14
I recall some B16s went to Mirfield in the early 60s
PGBerrie

Post by PGBerrie »

Yes, you are right - a very nice engine.
Peter
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

What's left at Carlisle now?
Obviously the main marshalling yards went but there was still a stub of the yard left and the old control tower was still there a few years back but I haven't kept up to date since I retired.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/