Use of the term 'junction'

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Use of the term 'junction'

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:34 pm Regarding the area of your '9 miles' on the MR Mickey(BR), had your list been of around 19600 or earlier, it would of course have also included : -

North London Incline Junction
Islip Street Junction
Kentish Town Junction, and
Highgate Road junction.
Yeah your right Stevie. I have a soft cover book of ALL the signal box track layouts that once existed between St Pancras station box & Trent South Junction which are dated during the 1950s & 1960s although the author John Swift has included all the box closure dates between the 1950s & 1980s as well.

With regards to both Highgate Road Junction & Junction Road Junction I thought those two boxes were a bit to far from the main line to count them.

The reason I chose 9 miles is that takes the Midland main line out to Elstree and includes Silkstream Junction (north of Hendon) which on the ECML that is about the same distance to Oakleigh Park and the next 'named' junction box north of Oakleigh Park was Cambridge Junction at Hitchin and on the Midland it was Harpenden Junction.

Amendedments-
A box called Kentish Town Junction once existed on the Fast & Goods lines (also maybe the Slow lines with Engine Shed Junction?) between Carlton Road Junction & Islip Street Junction and was closed in 1969 also a box once existed at Welsh Harp Junction on the Fast, Slow & Goods lines between Hendon & Brent no.1 (Fast & Slow lines) & Brent no.2 (Goods lines) and was also closed in 1969.
Finchley Road Junction according to John Swift's track layout book was just called Finchley Road only the word 'Junction' isn't shown.

I shall check out if Kentish Town Junction worked the Slow lines between Engine Shed Junction & Islip Street Junction?.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Mickey(BR) wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:37 am A box called Kentish Town Junction once existed on the Fast & Goods lines (also maybe the Slow lines with Engine Shed Junction?) between Carlton Road Junction & Islip Street Junction and was closed in 1969.

I shall check out if Kentish Town Junction worked the Slow lines between Engine Shed Junction & Islip Street Junction?.
Kentish Town Junction only signalled the Fast & Goods lines between Carlton Road Junction & Islip Street Junction boxes with the Slow lines being signalled between Engine Shed Junction & Islip Street Junction boxes.

Apparently Engine Shed Junction box was known locally by signalmen as 'The Palace' due to it being kept extremely clean and tidy all the time.

Engine Shed Junction box in 1977 nearly 5 years before closure in late 1981. The double-lines curving around to the right behind the box was the Kentish Town to Barking line with the Up & Down Slow lines in front of the box- https://tillyweb.biz/pmc/engineshedjctk ... 77pmc2.jpg

Engine Shed Junction box in the summer of 1978- https://tillyweb.biz/pmc/engineshedjctk ... 78pmc1.jpg

A Derby x4 car DMU heads northwards along the Down Fast line and passes Engine Shed Junction (Kentish Town in north London) in 1978. The area behind the signal box was the former site of Kentish Town loco shed which closed in 1964- https://www.simsig.co.uk/Media/Attachme ... 1978-7.jpg
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by thesignalman »

Mickey(BR) wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:21 am When I was at Junction Road Junction box back in the early 1980s some B.R.'bods' showed up one day and while they were in the box they remarked to each other about the box name saying something like that must be a unique name for a 'junction box' being named Junction Road Junction.
I think they were right. The question always was, when you and I worked there, which junction came first?

And the answer is obvious, the one before the word road, because the other one comes last!

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Mickey(BR) wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:00 pm
Mickey(BR) wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:37 am "A box called Kentish Town Junction once existed on the Fast & Goods lines (also maybe the Slow lines with Engine Shed Junction?) between Carlton Road Junction & Islip Street Junction and was closed in 1969.

I shall check out if Kentish Town Junction worked the Slow lines between Engine Shed Junction & Islip Street Junction?."
"Kentish Town Junction only signalled the Fast & Goods lines between Carlton Road Junction & Islip Street Junction boxes with the Slow lines being signalled between Engine Shed Junction & Islip Street Junction boxes. ...."
Yes I mentioned Kentish Town Junction in my post Mickey(BR).

And I believe that at some time past, I saw in the 1960 Appendix that there was a Block Post, Kentish Town Sidings, that worked the Slows (near the north end of KT station I think, so presumably, possibly quite near KT Jn.).
[thesignalman ?]
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by thesignalman »

StevieG wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:04 amAnd I believe that at some time past, I saw in the 1960 Appendix that there was a Block Post, Kentish Town Sidings, that worked the Slows (near the north end of KT station I think, so presumably, possibly quite near KT Jn.).
Almost opposite each other!

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yeah you did mention Kentish Town Junction Stevie apologies.

When you take a look at the Kentish Town area from a signalling point of view it was actually quite a complicated area with upwards of 6 or 7 boxes all in a relatively small area.

A bit further south of Kentish Town I remember seeing St Paul's Road Goods box (by looking over a brick retaining wall) back in 1970. That box must have been one of the narrowest signal boxes on the railways squeezed between the Down fast line on one side and the Up Goods line on the other side.