Oil trains?

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

ECS trains?

Post by Mickey »

thesignalman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:42 am
StevieG wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:45 pmOn the ex-GE lines, trains of ECS then were (still are?) routinely referred to as 'Carrs'.
That term used to be used quite widely, it was common on the LMR (with one "R"). It almost certainly originated from the Telegraph abbreviation for Empty Carriages being EMCARS.
Interesting John I always assumed like Stevie that the term 'cars' for ECS trains was a 'GE slang term' I don't remember the term 'cars' being used on the GN well at least not at Welwyn Garden City box back in the early 1970s by any resident or relief signalmen that I can remember I think ECS trains were referred to as 'Empties' from memory?. I always thought the term 'cars' originated off the GE in regards to the electrified Liverpool street-Shenfield service being provided by 'tramcars' to work it?. I noticed when Liverpool street control took over the North London line back around 1997/98 those controllers at Liverpool street would refer to ECS trains as 'cars' rather than empties.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
MS302
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Oil trains?

Post by MS302 »

When I was a driver at Acton in EWS days,one of my favourite turns was the Sundays only AVGAS train which had been stabled overnight at Didcot.Pass to Didcot,mobilise the loco,brake test and work it to West Drayton via Southall (R/R).Relieved at West Drayton,home pass.Invariably a Class 60,always got a run as I advised the signalman that I would not be hanging around.Often got a wave from Slough box.