Queens Jubilee Loco

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Queens Jubilee Loco

Post by Mercator II »

Has anyone read this

https://bit.ly/3JgCAAC?fbclid=IwAR3VGpo ... Xi5YfrvlG0

It would appear SVR has too much money, now whilst it's good to try tap in on the celebrations to earn additional revenue,to paint a loco for only a few months and then repaint it again, to me seams a huge waste of money, loco repaints are not cheap, that's why they get done at overhauls and if lucky one more in ticket

I had to check the date on first reading this!!!

Any thoughts?
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Queens Jubilee Loco

Post by Mickey »

With regards to repainting steam locos in general at onetime as a teenager back in the early 1970s I felt that any steam loco that was preserved should have been preserved in the locos final livery which would obviously mean all preserved steam locos from the B.R. era that were withdrawn from traffic during the 1960s and were then preserved would have been preserved in lined out green livery for passenger locos with the exception being some of the former LMS 4-6-0 Duchesses that ran in maroon livery and were withdrawn towards the end of 1964 (the others Duchesses were in green livery) or in lined out black livery for mixed traffic locos and all black livery for freight locos so working on that premise the six preserved Gresley A4s would have all been preserved in B.R. green livery although having said that I suppose an exception could have been made for Mallard being preserved in LNER garter blue livery.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Ummm have to agree with you Mickey,did it really have to be painted in that colour,sad, that desperate for attractions to keep the funds rolling in,but if you own it, I suppose you can do what ever you wish with your property still....I like to see the locos in post WW2 livery,so you just can slide in Apple Grn but with BRITISH RAILWAYS for the LNER locos for me to keep onside with this forum,GWR nothing changed,Model Railways I know I didnt buy them nor own a layout, but find it difficult when "Evening Star"rounds the curve closely followed by a Gladstone 2-2-0! I suppose the only place where you could Model & get range would be the C.L.C.lines (north western) correct me if others(not preserved lines) area allowing you Ex LNER/LMS/GWR locos along with the Standards &Diesel Shunters, but no Southern locos seen would keep it authentic, I know about the two(2) GWR pannier tanks in Scotland,but I think this is where we started, its all about being authentic as Mickey pointed out.jj
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

rockinjohn wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:04 am Ummm have to agree with you Mickey,did it really have to be painted in that colour,sad, that desperate for attractions to keep the funds rolling in,but if you own it, I suppose you can do what ever you wish with your property still....I like to see the locos in post WW2 livery,so you just can slide in Apple Grn but with BRITISH RAILWAYS for the LNER locos for me to keep onside with this forum,GWR nothing changed,Model Railways I know I didnt buy them nor own a layout, but find it difficult when "Evening Star"rounds the curve closely followed by a Gladstone 2-2-0! I suppose the only place where you could Model & get range would be the C.L.C.lines (north western) correct me if others(not preserved lines) area allowing you Ex LNER/LMS/GWR locos along with the Standards &Diesel Shunters, but no Southern locos seen would keep it authentic, I know about the two(2) GWR pannier tanks in Scotland,but I think this is where we started, its all about being authentic as Mickey pointed out.jj
Haha, that is the traditionalist in me when it comes to railways jj. Some guy bought a Deltic (class 55) and it came by my place about 8-10 years ago painted in all over mauve I just looked at it and shook my head. Personally, I never liked that B.R.9F that David Shepperd bought on withdrawal from B.R. and then named it Black Prince although some would say he bought it so he can name it which is true but that 9F never ran in B.R. with that name or any name so to me it was 'unauthentic' and I wasn't interested in the loco for that reason although that loco was kept in tip-top condition.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.