Loco & Multiple Units Diagrams/Workings on Google Drive

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Loco & Multiple Units Diagrams/Workings on Google Drive

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all, 

This has been created to house digital Loco & Unit Workings from 1948-1997, but i will accept earlier/later Workings if offered.
This is the 2nd post, as I've included extra folders. Also I've made it a new topic to make searching for the links easier.

Below are the links to the various Regions

ER (pre-1967): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
ER (post-1967): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
LMR: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
NER (pre-1967): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
ScR: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
SR: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
WR: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Also a Misc Folder for various other files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Please Note: Not all folders will contain diagrams as this is still a work in progress.
If you can contribute any documents, please let me know privately. 

Stuart Pigg
Loco & Multiple Unit Workings Drive Owner 
On Instagram: woodbourne_modelrailway.
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Loco & Multiple Units Diagrams/Workings on Google Drive

Post by 03piggs »

Morning all,

The following files have been uploaded to the ER-Pre 1967 folder under 'Locos';

GE Modifications to Main Line Passinger Engine & Enginmen's Workings- Whit-Sunday 05/06/1960
GE Modifications to Engine & Enginmen's Workings in connection with "Deepdene" Trains- Thursday 17/11/1960 & Friday 18/11/1960
GE Modifications to Engine & Enginmen's Workings- Tuesday 22/11/1960

Stuart Pigg
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Possibly disliked by many especially after superseding the quadrat sets on the GN inner and outer suburban services out of Kings Cross during the earlier 1960s but I have a nostalgic liking for the old Eastern Region class 105 Craven units that were a common sight on the GN inner and outer suburban services between the mid-1960s and the mid-1970s. There was nothing quite so exhilarating as on a warm summer's day rocking and rolling along with the top slide windows being open at an ear-shattering 60mph with the windows rattling and seats vibrating when traveling flat out along the fast lines as riding on a Cravens unit!. I was a regular traveler on them when we were living in WGC and rode on them most weeks between later 1967/68 to 1975.

The x2 car Cravens were usually reserved for the all-station 'stoppers' between Kings Cross and Welwyn Garden City and Hertford North. The x4 & x6 car Cravens were usually reserved for the Kings Cross-Hitchin-Royston semi-fast services with some x6 car Cravens working through to Cambridge pre-electrification.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Evening all,

The following files have been uploaded to the NER-Pre 1967 folder under 'Multiple Uints';

Tyneside Electric Special working 1958
Tyneside Electric Working Xmas 1962

Thanks go to John Gibson for allowing me to upload these files.

Stuart Pigg
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

craven 2 car DMU/KX

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi all, well funny enough Mickey your first line of your last post summed me up to a tee,nothing beat the sound of a quad set steam/diesel hauled departing the"X" & entering gasworks tunnels or rattling thru Highbury Vale, Northern Heights bound,I enjoyed hanging out of a quad window for the journey under the N.L.L viaduct & onwards up Holloway bank the N2's managed it without it would appear any undue stress, did it many times, funds(lack of) dictating a FP set down for me,but once & only once on a Craven 2car set windows filthy/rattles @ an unbelievable noise level& the driver had his vanity blinds pulled down on this early afternoon journey northbound, so didnt see much @all that way, the probable reason for my journey in the first place, stayed on the Picc. from then onwards.jj
Mickey

Re: craven 2 car DMU/KX

Post by Mickey »

rockinjohn wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:23 am but once & only once on a Craven 2car set windows filthy/rattles @ an unbelievable noise level& the driver had his vanity blinds pulled down on this early afternoon journey northbound, so didnt see much @all that way, the probable reason for my journey in the first place, stayed on the Picc. from then onwards.jj
jj that was how I 'learned the road' between Kings Cross & Welwyn Garden City in both directions starting during the second half of 1967 until about 1970/71 by sitting behind the driver's compartment (cab) of a Cravens unit when the driver would at least leave the right-hand side blinds up!. Nothing more miserable back then than sitting behind the right-hand side driver's compartment and seeing the road ahead and waiting for the semaphore signal at the end of the Up platform (no.47 lever) at Welwyn Garden City station to be pulled off then seeing the driver dropping all the driving compartment blinds down!. :(
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
SeniorGricer
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by SeniorGricer »

My school was at the Angel, Islington and our playing field was at Oakleigh Park. A choice of routes: Trolleybus 609 all the way to Whetstone High Street (latterly 104 - with RMLs (30 ft long Routemasters) following the Trolleybus replacement); Northern Line from Angel to Totteridge; or bus down to KX or to Finsbury Park, and a Craven DMU from there to Oakleigh Park. I often chose the DMU from KX. It gave me a bit of "spotting" time and the DMUs were relatively new animals. We always tried to get a seat at the front and I don't recall the driver pulling down the blinds very often. Looking back I imagine the Cravens were not very well powered. The acceleration seemed very slow and the slog through the tunnels up to Holloway seemed a bit hard going. I don't know how they were driven but I recall the driver had to change gear somehow. The highlight was being overtaken by a "Streak" somewhere along the way or, better still, seeing one approaching from the north on its last few miles to the terminus. Happy Days! :D :D
Mickey

Marshmoor 'incident' 1972

Post by Mickey »

A Cravens DMU memory...

Back in 1972, I happened to be riding on a Cravens unit (possibly a x2 car DMU?) from Kings Cross to Welwyn Garden City along the Down slow line all the way where this particular train terminated anyway after the usual slow start away from Brookmans Park station we picked up speed heading towards Marshmoor s/box on the long falling gradient and then sweeping left-hand curve at Welham Green long before the current Welham Green station had been built which was not until the mid-1980s anyway as we passed underneath the road bridge at this point and traveling along the long straight section approaching Marshmoor s/box that was seen in the distance and was situated beside the Down slow line a bulldozer was suddenly spotted 'very close to the Down slow line' anyway our Cravens unit 'hit it' but luckily only the 'door handles' were ripped off along the left-hand side of the Cravens unit and of course, the driver made an emergency vacuum brake application and stopped the unit just outside Marshmoor s/box where some words were exchanged with the signalman who was standing in the box doorway. Our guard in the meantime had got down onto the ballast trackside and had a look at the damage done before walking up to speak with the driver shortly after which our train continued towards Hatfield and from memory, we even continued to Welwyn Garden City where this train would have terminated anyway. If that bulldozer had been a foot or two distance nearer to the Down slow line the Cravens unit may well have been derailed or even worse?.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

SeniorGricer wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:43 pm I often chose the DMU from KX. It gave me a bit of "spotting" time and the DMUs were relatively new animals. We always tried to get a seat at the front and I don't recall the driver pulling down the blinds very often. Looking back I imagine the Cravens were not very well powered. The acceleration seemed very slow and the slog through the tunnels up to Holloway seemed a bit hard going. I don't know how they were driven but I recall the driver had to change gear somehow. The highlight was being overtaken by a "Streak" somewhere along the way or, better still, seeing one approaching from the north on its last few miles to the terminus. Happy Days! :D :D
The Craven units were a B.R.(ER) DMU originally intended to work the GE country branch line services. After the end of steam on the Kings Cross area in 1963, a large number of them were employed along with the Brush type 2s working the GN inner and outer suburban services in and out of Kings Cross and in and out of Moorgate over the widened lines, and even in and out of Broad Street on the North London line working the GN line suburban services during the weekday morning and evening 'peak hours' as well as them being a common sight around the GE east Anglia branch lines and around the Lincolnshire branch lines as well for about three decades between the 1960s and 1980s.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

RE #/104/609&611&N7

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Senior Gricer &all(intrested) bit off the rails here excuse the pun,you mention the "609" being replaced by the"104"RML's, but for a few "mad" Sundays when FY (Finchley)had their RML allocation & HT(Highgate)were still awaiting, you could ride on a bus the only time in the Trolleybus Conversion Programme that bore a trolleybus number a"609"indicated on the replacement buses anywhere, any time, in London,some staff discussion had prevented their entry into service due to the extra seating & length of the RML's until it was pointed out they were approx.the same as the Trolleybuses the were replacing!Heading for "the Street" from the N7 postcode, not tank engine class, I alwayswaited for& caught the "611" via New North Rd, a better class of slum housing being passed.jj
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Following on from jjs previous post...

As a youngster living in north London during the late 1950s and the first half of the 1960s, I vaguely recall seeing the red LT trolleybuses and still can recall their distinctive sound that they made during 1962 going along Seven Sisters road outside Finsbury Park station and also looking up at the mass of overhead wires then very shortly afterward all the overhead wires and trolleybuses had gone!.

Back on the topic thread...

On the Kentish Town-Barking line during the first half of the 1960s possibly around 1963-64, I recall while 'watching the trains' at Crouch Hill station seeing on possibly a couple of occasions a B.R. green livered single unit parcels DMU passing through the station heading eastwards towards the Harringay Park Junction direction. After looking up a list of B.R. DMUs the DMU concerned may have been a class 128 single unit 'parcels only' DMU introduced in 1959 intending to work on the Western Region of B.R. but according to Wikipedia, some of these DMUs made their way onto the London Midland Region or B.R. with the LMR/ER boundary being between Upper Holloway and Crouch Hill stations.

According to Wikipedia again only 10 class 128 single unit parcels only DMUs were ever constructed for B.R. in 1959 with the last being withdrawn in 1991.
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Message Deleted
Last edited by 03piggs on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Message Deleted
Last edited by 03piggs on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Message Deleted
Last edited by 03piggs on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeniorGricer
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: RE #/104/609&611&N7

Post by SeniorGricer »

rockinjohn wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:39 pm Hi Senior Gricer &all(intrested) bit off the rails here excuse the pun,you mention the "609" being replaced by the"104"RML's, but for a few "mad" Sundays when FY (Finchley)had their RML allocation & HT(Highgate)were still awaiting, you could ride on a bus the only time in the Trolleybus Conversion Programme that bore a trolleybus number a"609"indicated on the replacement buses anywhere, any time, in London,some staff discussion had prevented their entry into service due to the extra seating & length of the RML's until it was pointed out they were approx.the same as the Trolleybuses the were replacing!Heading for "the Street" from the N7 postcode, not tank engine class, I alwayswaited for& caught the "611" via New North Rd, a better class of slum housing being passed.jj
I remember clearly seeing the RMLs with "609" on the blind. I'd followed the Trolleybus replacement scheme from the start and, as you say, such a feature never occurred anywhere else. I never knew the reason for the 609 anomaly, so thanks for the info (I've only waited 60 years!). I lived a mile or so from New North Road and remember the 611 (Highgate Village to Moorgate) very well.

Anyway, enough Trolleybuses. To remain on topic (almost) and avoid the Moderator's sword, I would sometimes visit Moorgate underground station to see the occasional Craven DMU which had operated from Hertfordshire, via Kings Cross York Way and the "Widened Lines". I'd sometimes take one back to Finsbury Park via Kings Cross, arriving in platform 10 (IIRC) via the very steeply graded tunnel which was the "hotel curve."
Last edited by SeniorGricer on Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.