Clans &Hymek's great expectations &longevity

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Clans & Hymek's great expectations &longevity

Post by Mickey »

The Hymeks weren't bad looking diesel-hydraulics although I don't ever recall actually seeing one 'in the flesh' so to speak because by the time I visited Paddington in the summer of 1970 I only remember seeing the Westerns (which were as loud as hell!) and the Warships and the Western Region allocated Brush type 4s the 1600 series which had the original 'named' type 4s.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Clans &Hymek's great expectations &longevity

Post by strang steel »

According to a Mr Clayden's notes from 1956, he has written down 72005 during a lengthy spotting spell at Kenton (N London) on July 28th 1956. I have included this on the 1956 page of my spotting notes website (link below this message).

Now, whether this was a mistake and he saw 70005 instead, I don't know - but 70005 would be unlikely as well, being a Stratford allocated loco at the time. There is no clue as to which service Clan MacGregor was working, and I don't have the power of time travel in order to verify it, and so I will just take Mr Clayden's word for it.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Strang &all, Clans apart from 72009,arrival on the Midland as a prelude to its G.E.try out,Clans did arrive @Euston,rare but usually(borrowed) on Blackpool UP Express Workings or Xmas/New Year Parcels when noted,Crewe&Doncaster looked after the "Brits"as far as works visits,so a visit possible @ Euston or KX ex.works,not counting the "Brits"on the Grimsby/Cleethropes passenger &fish or Euston/Manchester turns.jj
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Thanks John. As this was July, most likely a Blackpool extra.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

I don't remember seeing a Clan anywhere near Leicester, Midland or Central, I saw one go under the GC birdcage bridge at Rugby, probably as close as one got.