Battery Powered Trains

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Battery Powered Trains

Post by sandwhich »

I have read today that battery trials are to start on the Greenford branch with former underground trains I hope that this proves successful, then perhaps a Class 150 unit could be looked at to see if these traction units could be used and also a 769 could be looked at as well to see if could work on the Reading to Gatwick service along with the DC traction.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Battery Powered Trains

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Jago Hazzard has just released a video on YouTube on the Greenford trial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV441HnVI34 in which explains how the battery system works.

His view is that battery power is probably best suited for short branches (of which the GWR has several) rather than longer ones.
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Battery Powered Trains

Post by sandwhich »

I certainly see the point that these units are more suited for branch lines and lets hope that it pans out that way, I picked up that this unit covered 86 miles without recharging, okay a one off but it could help make a case for other emu,s We all know that infill 3rd rail electrification should have happened years ago but almost certainly will not come about now which could make a good case for the dc/battery operation. But the Greenford trials must come first.