S160 280

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

daveinstoke
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

S160 280

Post by daveinstoke »

How many of these Loco's still exist in the States. It would be interesting to see one with cowcatcher & bell. Which RR used them etc, perhaps this is a question for Richard.
Dave.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I don't know! :-)

I do know there's one in Anchorage. I had some emails up that way from someone who was building a model with some questions about the frames. He ended up going down and investigating for himself.

I think most went for export during the War, usually by the US Army Transport Corps? I know they're scattered across Europe - I hear there are a few in Greece in deteroriating condition.

There have never been any RTR models in N (yes, I've looked!), and the only HO model I know of is made by a UK kit manufacturer (DJH) - which supports the 'little used in the US' hypothesis.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Google comes up with the following:

http://www.gregoriou.itgo.com/custom4.html
"a few came back to the US"

There are some more hits, but they're very sketchy and usually refer to my S160 page (typically with an out of date URL!).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

Some cracking places to sample them in the UK at the moment....Churnet Valley's 5197 is incredible :)

David
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Some years ago we organised a holiday in the Southern States that took in Georgia, the Carolinas and Tennessee. I could not resist a trip to Chattanooga to ride on the Tennessee Valley Railroad behind no.610, built in 1952 and arguably the newest standard gauge steam loco in the States. This loco is a Baldwin (I think?) and a 2-8-0 and uses standard parts. The Engineer agreed with me that the S160 was almost exactly the same loco, but with a cut down cab and boiler mountings.

I have found the following site which shows up how much like an S160 no. 610 is. http://railga.com/oddend/tvrr.html

On the same holiday, we stayed in a hotel in North Charleston that gave us a grand stand view of a marshalling yard in which trains were being switched all night.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Here's another Baldwin 2-8-0. A WW1-era Baldwin "General Pershing" class:

http://www.winwaed.com/rail/texas/state_railroad.shtml

I took the photos last May when the Missus took me out to East Texas for a weekend birthday trip. The Texas State Railroad is actually owned by the State. It was originally operated by the prison system, but is now the "longest and thinnest" State Park.

We had some really nasty storms that morning. The train was about an hour late starting whilst they cleared the larger trees from the line. Even then, we had to stop 8 or so times for the train crew to get out and shift large branches.

Nearly made it up to Chattanooga this Christmas. We thought about driving to my in-laws in Georgia, and taking a circuituous route up via Tenessee, and returning by New Orleans. Well New Orleans got cancelled pretty early on, but I was thinking of hiring a car and it soon became economic to fly instead.
I did get to see Tennessee (along with both Carolinas and probably Alabama as well) - whilst hiking in the Georgian Appalachians.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia