Memories

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Memories

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents.
We all have a favorite memory, from our trainspotting days, working life or have a magic moment or a funny moment, I have a couple of those and would like to share them with you,feel free to add yours to.
There use to be a diagram at the Cross, if I remember that went like this, work loco and 5/6 suburban coaches to Hertford, empty coaches to Hitchin, stable in sidings, to down yard, pick up parcels coaches take them to Peterborough parcels depot at New England ( arrive app 2130) leave said depot app 2330 , arrive KX goods yard 0100. Well after leaving Hitchin app 1930/2000 we had to run slow line to Arlsey, where in them days there was still a short 2 road section of track where the old station and level crossing had been, the new bridge had only been opened a short while, the old signal box was still there to and thats were we got stopped to let a couple of express train pass. The driver stopped the engine of the class 31 because we knew we would be there for maybe 15 mins,it was late summer or ealy autumn, light evenings and warm so the windows were open, just sitting there listerning to the birds singing and the engine ticking as it cooled down, then a different type of singing as a train approched, a down express with a Deltic on the front, a pretty fast strech of track there and slowly the track singing faded out, I decieded to get off the loco to strech my legs, still had at least another 10 mins to wait, after a few yards I turned to the west to watch the setting sun and what a view, the mist was rising over the fields the trees were losing there sharpness and the orange/yellow sun giving it a beautiful glow and with approch of another northbound express it was a moment to remember, I then looked down to see a wesel running drunkenly through the rough grass, it had a broken back leg it stopped looked up at me hissed at me and carried on it's drunken way.
Later that night after we had left Peterborough we were put in at Connington south slow line to Huntingdon, to be passed again by an up express, about Abbotts Ripton doing 30mph, no point rushing, we still had'n't been overtaken , when something came over the top of bonnet of our class 40 and slid up the center window and away, this all happened in about 3 seconds and scared the living daylights out of both of us, we guessed it was a large owl on the track and at 30mph was'nt making to much noise, so it did'n't take off till it was to late, the rest of the trip was rather boring.I have more, if you like this one. manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Memories

Post by giner »

That's a fascinating one, manna. Last time I was at Arlesey, the old station was still there - shows you how long ago that was.

Anyway, I don't know about owls but, on a recent trip from Edmonton to Vancouver we were asked to look out for bears on the track. There's a lot of grain trains travelling this route from the prairie wheatfields of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta to the west coast grain terminals at Vancouver, and there's always some spillage from the hopper cars. "Hey, hey," go the bears, "lunchtime!" Most of them get out of the way in time after a blast on the horns, but there's a goodly number of them that meet their end in this manner.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Glad you liked that one 'giner' never thought about bears on the line, all I have to worry about now is hitting a kangaroo? on the way to work(now live in South Australia) we do get around do'n't we? Manna.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Always appreciate tales of the old GN, Manna - pity you seem too far away to make our next KX district re-union at Hatfield in November, smokebox ash everywhere!

Was always told that Connington Fen is five feet below sea level. No bears there, that I know of but maybe an odd Fen Tiger or two!
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

I'm glad you liked that story,have a short one for the Deltic fans, signed on one saturday night as a spare man,when the foreman called me over and said go with driver ****, so I said ok and went off with said driver, we collected or gear and wander down I think to platform 5 and got on the train, I then asked the driver what we were doing 'got to bring a sleeper back from Donny' fair enough I thought, I like a nice ride out now and again, after arrival in Donny we went off to find out were our train was'about 2 hours away, so off to the mess room for a long wait, well it finally arrived about 3am, a Deltic and about 14 sleepers on, thats when we found out that we were going via Lincoln with a pilotman, so off we went all round the houses to Peterborough and me standing all the way, we finally arrived in Peterborough about 7.30am, the pilotman said goodbye and got off, me I'm thinking good I can sit down now,I was aching all over Deltic cabs are'n't ment for standing in, when the driver say's to me 'you drive, and don't forget wer'e 2 hours late' so into the drivers seat I slid, head out the window, right away from the guard and 'away we went 'as they say after we had left the station and over the bridge, I opened the engine right up,well sleeper trains have a 90mph speed limit so that people have a comfy nights sleep, being so late they were all up now, forget the speed limit we were going flat out now I know we hit 105mph before a p way slowing at Arlesley where the driver and myself changed back to our normal positions, we made up almost 30 mins from Peterborough, not a bad night. manna
PS yep bit to far to go for a night out.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day all
Never saw a fen tiger or bears at Connington,I saw a big red light there one night, we had green lights (semaphores in them days) all the way, got to Connington North and the signalman put the signal back to danger right in our face's we both thought oooooh s***, we were class 9 and loaded 600 tons well the brakes went on but we did'n't stop sailed right on past that red light, finally stopped about 300 yards past the signal, was a long walk back to the box I can't even remember why he stopped us in that way but it was for something trivial, my driver was'n't very happy,but we never heard a thing about it. Did you know that the stretch of line over the fens is still sinking, it had a 90mph speed limit back in the 70's and there still topping it up.
Another day we had to take a class 31 to Hitchin diesel depot and as we were crawling in we spread the track and dropped through the middle, my driver turned the engine off as I put the handbrake on? and walked up to the foremans office to report the engine on shed, he asked where we had left the loco we said the approch road, which is when he lost it? went something like this ( all one word and very fast ) why'dleavethef****thingthereyouf*****KXmenthinkyoucanleaveyourf*****engineswereeveryoulike!! my driver just stood there nice and calm and pointed out the window behind the foreman, he slowly turned his head to see this 31 sinking into the ash, one end had already sunk about a foot into the ash the other end was still on the track, looked just like the Titanic going down, the look he gave us was a picture,we bolted out of his office to catch a train back to the Cross, we were still laughing when we reached KX.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Arlesey in busier times...

http://richard2890.fotopic.net/p54465915.html

and after rationalisation but with Langford Bridge still open...

http://richard2890.fotopic.net/p54929726.html
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Very pleased to see some memories of the KX district so thanks, Manna - anything to tell us about Welwyn GC and particularly the freight handled in the miniature marshalling yard there which still boasted a 350 in the 1960s? Mind you, the smell from the Shredded Wheat place was something I found vile, put me off the stuff for years. Ever work the bulk grain vans there?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Nice to see some GNR memories coming in it makes a change to hear from other parts of the LNER. I had a good look around Chettisham which i think may be GER in origin when i was working on the former station site. There was a granary and a wartime cold store plenty of signs of railway involvement with some track and pointwork still in situ.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Yep, worked the grain train, use to like that job so much I use to swop for it, not many secondmen use to like it, but it was a job that the driver often let the second man have a drive,I think the diagram went like this, sign on about 0030 walk to KX goods yard work freight to Temple Mills (over the hump), pick up Welwyn wheat train, drop train off in Welwyn up yard unhook, hook up to suburban coaches and steam heat (in winter) leave Welwyn app 0735, arrive KX then go home, nice little job, now the real job,all went well until we got to the Cannonbury down line next to Clarence Yard shed where with about 600tons on, we slipped to a standstill, our class 31 had been struggling with the damp rail all the way from Stratford, so we had no choice but to stop and hand sand for about 50yds up to enterance to western sidings then back to the loco,try again this time we got up to Finsbury Park but slowly,where we were put out Main Line, Wahooo!! main line with a 30mph class 9, by Wood Green we were doing 20mph still slipping and sliding, finally got to 30mph at Hatfield where we had to shut off and start to slow down for Welwyn GC, shunted train and hooked up to the suburban train to steam heat it (about 0430 now) woke up about 0715 with the shunter banging on the side of the loco telling us to move into the platform,(all bleary eyed now) then a normal trip back to the Cross.
There was a daytime freight job from KX goods to Temple Mills and over the hump again, well this day we ran down to Clarence yard again to run round, which we did without any problems,tooted the signalman to let him know we were ready,signal came off the guard gave us a wave and BANG,BANG,BANG, bloody engine split the points and we were bouncing over the sleepers with about 350 tons pushing us, well the driver put the brakes on ,the guard put his brake on, did'n't help much, the rails were making us turn to the right towards a load of S&T men putting up new signal, they had just got the signal into an up right position, when we came off the rails, they all looked at where the noise was coming from and when they saw us bouncing down on them they all let go of there ropes and ran for there lives,the signal stayed where it was for a few seconds then very slowly and gracefully crashed to the ground with all the S&T men 50 to 60 yds away. We finally stopped 25/30 yds from where we split the points, by that time half the staff from Clarence Yard shed were outside having a look, and within 30mins the brakedown crane was there with a Deltic on, they only used jacks to get us back on the track, while all that was going on another loco and crew had hooked on our train and taken it to Temple Mills via the Hornsey flyover, we took our loco carefully into Clarence Yard for inspection, it was one of those lovely sunny days, so it was very nice to sit on a pile of old sleepers and watch our loco being rerailed.
manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Sorry 52D I don't know Chettisham, but I will admit I do have a soft spot for small country stations.
Short stories today,had a job at KX engine movments I had the afternoon shift, it was a busy one had a couple of specials in (rugby/football)and we were a bit short of traction, anyway 2 class 47's needed to come off the pit and go onto the slip (next road over) but in the order that were already in so my driver said to me you take the front one I'll take the back one, so he dropped his 47 down to the stops and I followed him down at about 2mph with my hand on the brake but his loco had leaked some fuel onto the track, as hard as I tried I could not stop, she picked up her wheels and CLANG, we collided 3pm Saturday afternoon all the spotters on the end of the platform having a wonderful view of the proceedings, as I pulled away three of the buffers fell off with three loud clangs and a loud cheer from the spotters, luckly my driver and the movements foreman had seen what was happening, and did'n't get into to much trouble, but the foreman teased me about being strung up on a semaphore, both 47's had to go to Finsbury Park depot for new buffers.
I had Bill Hooles fireman as a driver for a couple of days, local ECS etc and we talk about steam trains,most of the stories I can't remember but one, he said that Bill was a bit? heavy handed and that on more than one occasion he had run out of coal at Hitchin and had gone into the tender with a brush and swept it out, and with fingers crossed had just made it to KX, He was a big fellow with a very soft voice, a really nice guy.
Had another Driver one afternoon wandered up to the train a bit late, the guard and I were already there waiting to go (ECS to Bounds Green & ECS back to the Cross, twice) anyway as he got on the loco he said 'you drive' so I moved across to the drivers seat, we got the right away and I took the train out of KX, by the time we had got to Harringay my driver was asleep so a Bowes Park I tried to wake him, no way he was out of it, so I changed ends, sat in the siding, picked up the next train, dropped it ff in Bounds Green, hooked up to the next set for the Cross, took it into the Cross, then went through the whole routine again, with my driver fast asleep sometimes in the front cab, sometimes in the back cab, when we got back to the Cross for the second time I went to wake him up again, this time he did wake up, to say that he was surprised that he had slept for so long would be a understatement all he said was, was' O thanks for that ' and went off to the BRSA for a drink??????? at least I had a good time?? manna.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents'
This memory starts in about '1960/61' as a young lad I use to catch the local train from Wood Green to Hornsey or Finsbury park for a bit of spotting, well this day it was Finsbury Park,after a couple of hours I'd had enough I decided to head back to Wood Green as I was standing on the down main platform I thought I would catch the next train on the down slow as everything stopped at Wood Green!! so when the next one arrived I climbed on, not a DMU, not a N2 and coaches but a diesel and coaches so off we go out on the main line, there we were roaring along the mainline, straight through Harringay and Hornsey, I was then thinking we a'i'n't going to stop at Wood Green and we did'n't, into Wood Green tunnel, New Southgate, Oakleigh Park, still roaring along,further and further, now green fields and more green fields, I along with my brother and sister were starting to get a bit! worried about 3 hours later (or so it seemed) we started to slow, at last the train stopped and we fell out, to be greeted by a large blue sign 'HATFIELD' we were the other side of the planet?? After a short explaination to a porter he put us on the next train back to Wood Green. Years later I was on engine movements at KX loco, it was Christmas Eve 1970 it was cold and wet and I was pulling a point handle when I heard this roaring sound coming out of Gasworks tunnel and this loco went past the shed and into the milk dock a few minutes later a baby Deltic stopped in KX loco, I remembered my ride to Hatfield all those years before, I could'nt recall the loco that pulled us but I knew that roaring engine.
That engine stayed on KX loco over Christmas and then when to Finsbury Pk, that was the last time that I know of,that, a baby deltic was at KX.
manna
PS It was the blue one.
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

The Baby Deltics were Hitchin's finest, Manna, and looked pretty little things when you could see behind the exhaust fumes that always seemed to be hanging around them! I remember seeing three of them coupled together one morning, passing through the Hitchin station en route to the stockyard to work ballast trains and they laid a magnificent smokescreen. As you know, they were a big disappointment to both BR and to EE, probably their only dud design, which is a shame.
Remember the Paxmans in multiple working those Ashburton Grove to Blackbridge rubbish trains? Last traffic over that part of the Luton branch and used 50 ton Gresley sulphate wagons. The smell when they stood in the platform at Welwyn GC was something else.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

Here's one from 1950, not exactly a favourite - more of the egg on face variety but unforgettable all the same.

Probably from reading Trains Illustrated I knew that the last Ivatt Atlantic 62822 was due to make its last run from KX to Doncaster as it was due for withdrawal. The date would have been a Sunday in November 1950, from memory it was the 26th but probably someone here will know for sure. I particularly wanted to see this last GN Atlantic, as although I had probably seen them in earlier years I was then too young to note any numbers and none of my elders and betters had thought of making notes for me. So even in my early spotting days I had no C1s underlined and the survivors were fast disappearing.
Anyway, not unusually for a 1950 London Sunday in November, when day dawned it was very foggy. My local station was Palmers Green and for some reason I decided the trains would all be late if they ran at all, so I caught a no. 29 bus from the end of our road and got off at Wood Green tube station. From there it was a 10-15 minute walk up to the main line station. I got there in plenty of time for the special but not having a rail ticket or even a platform ticket I chose to stand near the railings overlooking the tracks at the north end of the up local platform. An up stopping train with an N2 soon arrived, possibly from our Palmers Green line. Even at that late stage I should have noticed the difficulty in seeing this loco's number, but the warning went unheeded. The C1 on its special was of course a full platform width and two tracks farther away from my vantage point - you can guess what's coming, can't you?

I remember hearing 62822 chirruping away as it approached, I remember seeing the white steam of its exhaust against the grey background of the fog as the train passed, but could I say I had seen the last Ivatt Atlantic on its final run? To be honest, no, and I never underlined 62822 in my ABC. If only I had taken the train from Palmers Green and not the bus! Then I would have been on the up platform at Wood Green and near enough to see it.

What really rubbed it in was when I saw a photograph of that special taken at my favourite spot near Greenwood - still misty, but the sun was breaking through and the train was clearly visible.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents.
Hq1, I only remember a couple of baby deltic's roaring around the KX area,I do have a couple of photos of them after withdrawl at Finsbury Pk, pity I never got to ride in one.I'll see if I can find them,also I never managed to get into the engineers sidings at Hitchin.

Flamingo, I know the exact spot you were standing on, I use to stand there between the booking hall and the bridge, watching the little J52's pulling the coaches out of Bounds Green sidings then pushing them back in again, another spot that I used at Wood Green was on the Ally Pally side of the station, there was a long wing wall attached to the station exit we use to climb up behind the phone box and sit on the top of the wall next to a large GNR gas lamp, had a wonderful view of the trains as they rounded the curve through Hornsey station and down the long straight to Wood Green.Have a wonderful memory of seeing 'The Tetrarch' tearing through Wood Green station between the two footbridges from this high vantage point.
I would loved to have seen a C1 atlantic at Wood Green but the last one was withdrawn 5 weeks before I was born, so there was a good chance that 62822 was being cut up at Doncaster while I was being born?? Why was'n't St Pancras hostpital called Kings Cross hostpital. I've been told my mother had to walk to the hostpital from Hornsey because of the snow.
manna