9F Conset Iron ore Trains

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

daveinstoke
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

9F Conset Iron ore Trains

Post by daveinstoke »

Hi can any let me have any info on the 9f Loco's that were used on the Iron ore trains for Conset. In particular Loco number (s) & if the loco had single or double chimney & type of Tender. I do know that they were fitted with air pumps for the pneumatic doors on the waggons. This is part of my N.E model layout etc.
Thanks
Dave.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

92060 to 92066 and 92097 to 92099 (inclusive) were shedded at 52H for this purpose although they did stray from time to time - 92099 worked the last steam-hauled service over the Alnwick branch, for example.

So far as I can tell, none was fitted with a double chimney and I don't have an answer on tenders although the picture of 92099 at Alnwick on 18th June 1966 in Ken Hoole's "North Eastern Branch Line Termini" shows it paired with a high-sided tender (as well as carrying a suitable wreath on the smokebox door).
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
daveinstoke
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by daveinstoke »

After a little late night book bashing, ( the 1955 Bible ) & thanks to the Loco numbers you supplied . All the Conset, 9f's seem to have BR1B Tenders fitted.
Thanks
Dave.