B.R.S.A. club bar talk.

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

B.R.S.A. club bar talk.

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey

Re: B.R.S.A. club bar talk.

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Never went in the KX BRSA club, but I was a member, did'nt they take the membership fees out of your wages 5p a week!
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

I too was a member. The club was at the rear of Paragon station and the building was originally used for the transit and transfer of the East Europe refugees on their way to Liverpool and the USA.
My most memorable evening there was when David Whitfield was the guest singer (before he made the big time) and during one romantic ballad, he came down from the stage,still singing, and crooned at various ladies in the audience.

He stopped at one lass and put his arm over her shoulder, still singing, whereupon her boyfriend/husband stood up and belted him. It brought the house down!

After all these years I still have my membership card.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

I remember the Club at KX very well indeed. Being M&EE, dirty boilersuits and smock coats would incur the wrath of "t'management" and we had to go in there with the obligatory rubber buttoned yellow vest sticking out of our jacket pockets!

I used to do two afternoons a week in the ODM tech office at nearby Wellers Court and one of them was Thursday, pay day. Some of the lads used to roll back to the depot at 3.30, well tanked up. Not long after I joined two of them had a row - one pulled a blade and another a screwdriver. Tommy Mannix, the one legged timekeeper, grabbed one (whilst holding onto a downpipe) with me holding the flailing arm whilst two others got hold of the one with the blade. We quietened them both down, got them inside and sobered them up. Of course, not a word was said to anyone.

Booze was just part of the scene on the railway in those days. Not everybody drank, obviously, but the KX patch was a hard drinking area. The pay office for both the footplate & M&EE staff was nearly opposite my "proper" office (Room 125) and there was a fair few wifes, sisters and the like that used to be there when it was payout time just to make sure that it didn't all disappear down the club. The pay clerk was an old Top Shed hand and knew how to delay payment if he found out that the "other half" hadn't yet arrived!

The admin also had another routine when it came to the railway bank. It was always passed off to anyone from home who enquired as a "pension deduction" rather than the blokes beer fund!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

No bar talk as I was too young at the time but I remember the BRSA club being built in Selby.
It was the summer of 1956 and I had just left primary school and was about to start at the local grammar school in Drax on the Selby-Goole line(went on 2 coach push and pull hauled by G5-happy days).
Anyway the club house was being erected at the south end of the station where the 'gang' spent hours trainspotting and eating iced jublees.One of the lads on the site had just left the grammar that summer and he spent the whole time putting the fear of god into me about life at 'the big school'.Needless so say I approached the first day of term with dread but fortunately It was nowhere near as bad as I expected and I thoroughly enjoyed my 7 years there.
The club is still in operation and well attended but I doubt not by many railway staff as the rail infrastructure has been virtually swept away over the years.

50c
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

Micky,I'm not sure what you mean by the 'old station'.The original station was the terminus of the Leeds and Selby railway. This became the goods shed in 1840 when a new station was built along side it when the line was extended across the river Ouse to Hull and later York.I think that 'new' station is the one that still exists today but I might be wrong on that one.Maybe a Forum member might can confirm the station history.
The original station/goods shed is now a warehouse and lost its rail connection sometime in the early 90's ,I think.Even in the 50's there was a siding(now gone) which came out of the rear of the shed,across the road and onto a jetty.It was not used in my day but at some stage cargo would have been loaded/unloaded onto barges for transit to Goole and Hull as the river Ouse,although over 50 miles from the sea, is still tidal at Selby- we even used to get a small bore as the tide came in.
The original river bridge to the north of the station was a cantilever type which hinged upwards.It was later rebuilt as a swing bridge but dont know when.

50c
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

Yes,the main ECML was diverted about 5 miles to the west of Selby in 1983 because of the development of the Selby coalfield,which has since closed.A new Selby station was not built on the 'new' ECML so the existing station now serves the Hull to Leeds and Doncaster to York via Church Fenton routes.Hull Trains offer a direct service to Kings Cross which still cross the river Ouse on the swing bridge.

Hope this clarifies things

50c