B.R.S.A. club bar talk.

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: B.R.S.A. club bar talk.

Post by Mr Bunt »

Micky wrote:Reading your posting brought the words Eltham Well Hall into my mind.
Colonel J R H Robertson's report into the accident states that "At the opening on 14th June [1972] of the Coroner's Inquest into the deaths of those who were killed in the derailment it was disclosed that Driver R. Wilsdon, the driver of the excursion train on its return journey from Margate, had been drinking to an extent that resulted in his blood alcohol level after death being 278 milligrammes per 100 millilitres and his urine alcohol level being 326 milligrammes per 100 millilitres".

That compares with the current limits for drink driving on the road of 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood; or 107 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine. I would therefore say that he was seriously p***ed :(

Robertson also noted that Wilsdon had booked on by telephone on the day in question, which wouldn't have helped.

The full report can be found at

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/listin ... &event=134

and tells a sorry story.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

Micky wrote:I guess talking about this unfortunate accident may seem strangely inappropriate or appropriate which ever which way one wants to look at it on a page headed B.R.S.A. club bar talk?.
Probably appropriate, here's another extract from the official report into the accident:

After further talk and at about 19.00 Wilsdon [the driver who was killed in the accident] said "What about a couple of pints - we've got time" and they walked together to the Railway Staff Association Club. Secondman Stokes went on to say that when they got to the club, which had just opened, Wilsdon went to "the one armed bandit" while he himself bought the first round of a pint each of light and bitter: Wilsdon bought a second round of the same and Stokes said that he bought a third. I had seen a statement by the club steward that the two had drunk some light ale and I asked Stokes whether they might each, in addition, have drunk a half pint of it: he said that they might have done -"Bob (Wilsdon) might have got one in - but all that he was certain of was that they had each drunk three pints of light and bitter in the club before they left it, when Wilsdon said to him "Come on, hurry up, we haven't got much time".

Medical evidence given to the official inquiry suggested Wilsdon's blood and urine alcohol levels when tested after his death were consistent with the consumption of 8½ pints. Not a sensible amount to drink before driving anything, never mind a train :(
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
I once related a story in the 'Memories' section, of a day when I had a Driver that was so p******* that he fell asleep in the secondmans seat for eight hours while I did the whole driving shift on my own, two trips to Hornsey CS and back to the 'Cross' and when I managed to wake at the end of the shift, all I got was 'Oh, I've time for a drink at the BRSA' think he had a bit of a problem??
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Time to give up drinking! won't be long before whisky is 2.50 a bottle and petrol is 40p a gallon, mark my words this fellow Ted Heath is only in it for sailing, the miners will sort him out!!
manna

PS, did I tell you I was psykic, na! pyscik, na! psycoe, na! but close???? :mrgreen:
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

Micky wrote:Yeah i think a lot of beer drinker's were dumbfounded when the price of beer went up to £0.20p a pint in 1975!!!. They say that you shouldn't live in the past but when it comes to the price of the beer give me the past anytime. Cheers!. Micky
But back then I was only earning £25 a week before tax, so at 20p a pint my Greene King habit was still costing me pro rata more than it does today down at the social club I belong to, where it's £2 a pint - 55p cheaper than the local pubs :D

Now, if I could keep my 2010 salary unaltered and go back in time to 1975... no, let's not do that - I be permanently p***ed :roll:
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobser
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by bobser »

Reading all the articles on BRSA has brought back many happy memories of my time on the railway. I was on the Commitee of the Grantham BRSA from 1970 until I moved to Newcastle in 1972.

I have visited, and had a drink in the following BRSA Clubs down the years - King's Cross, Grantham, Newark North Gate, Doncaster, York (club was called The Railway Institute), Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Gateshead (known as The Tappers), Newcastle (Forth Banks), Blaydon, Heaton (affectionally called The Gaza), Walkergate, Perth and Elgin.

At Newcastle Forth Banks there was a fire exit door which gave access to the fish dock and this door was always open whilst the club was open. Staff used to use it regularly as it saved walking all the way round to the Main Entrance. When I was a Guard (1972 to 1980) it was common practice for any Spare or Control Orders Guards to spend their time in the club drinking and playing darts or pool. This practice was overlooked by Management.The Duties Clerks, who were'nt averse to having a pint or two in the Club themselves, often said it was better to know your spare Guards were in the Club when they wanted them rather than having to search all the local hostelries trying to find them.

I believe most of the clubs have now either gone private or been closed down. I can understand this as drinking on duty was endemic in the 1970's and 80's.

bobser.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

blaydon club is still there dont know about the others mentioned