Grand Central

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Grand Central

Post by richard »

I said I was going to be out of town for the past weekend but I didn't say where. Well, we went to New York. The American Museum of Natural History have a big Darwin exhibition at the moment which the Missus wanted to see...

On Saturday evening we dropped by on Grand Central station. They've done a great job with the restoration - much better than when I last visited over ten years ago. Alas no pictures: we didn't have any disks for the camera, and it wouldn't have done the large space any justice.

The Subway has also moved forward with the times - they now use magnetic stripe cards (like the Tube) and have abandoned the old coin tokens.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

The "other" Grand Central is causing a lot of controversy with GNER, current principal franchisee on the ECML: see http://www.railnews.co.uk/news.aspx?id=2585 for some of the background.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?