Finsbury Park Diesel Depot

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GEM
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Finsbury Park Diesel Depot

Post by GEM »

Hi

I have the book on Finsbury Park Depot (by DPS) which is excellent but doesn't give much detail on the shed architecture structure. Does any body have architecture drawings of the shed they could share. Also I am looking for drawings of the other buildings in and around the shed.

Of use would be similar drawings of Stratford, March or Tinsley which are of similar construction.

I also have the books
Diesel Depots - The Early Years
Diesel and electrics on shed Vols 1 - 4.

Thanks

Graeme

See our layout Grathwaite Junction at http://grathwaite-junction.webs.com/
Mickey

Re: Finsbury Park Diesel Depot

Post by Mickey »

I use to like Finsbury Park Diesel Depot or Clarence Yard as it was also know as. The first time that I remember seeing it was from a passing train around 1967 in those days the roads outside the shed was full of Brush type 2s & 4s along with EE type 4s and some Paxmans & 350hp diesel shunters.

Mickey
Last edited by Mickey on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Got a few little bits, if you were standing facing the shed , to you left there would/was be a very dark brown wooden shed, approx 40ft long 15 ft wide, this was the shunters mess and engine movements mens room, we would use this room instead of the larger mess area inside the loco shed, because it would have meant a very long walk every time a loco arrived on shed.

As you can see from the plans Clarence yard was a long thin shed/loco yard, and everything was laid out well, but you certainly ended with sore feet at the end of the shift.

The main mess area was always spotlessly kept in all the times I was there, the floor tiles were a browny white and highly polished the central area was for sinks, cook tops and a small oven all in stainless steel with the same colored tile surround and again all highly polished, the tables if I remember correctly were grey with bright red chairs, after the fitters had been in for a break the room stank of diesel and there was oil everywhere, but by next meal break it was spotless again.

Hope this helps. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
GEM
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by GEM »

:)
Thanks guys for the info so far.
Still not been able to get any plans. What about Tinsley anybody have anything?????

Graeme
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

GEM wrote::)
Thanks guys for the info so far.
Still not been able to get any plans. What about Tinsley anybody have anything?????

Graeme
there was a good programe a couple of months back on tinsley from it inception to the present day
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I used to work adjacent to Tinsley and there were a few good youtube films about it.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

A few Tinsley Brush type 2s found there way up to the Kings Cross area in the early 1970s they usually looked pretty beat up though plus they usually had there Spanner boilers removed and replaced by a block of concrete.

Mickey
Last edited by Mickey on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

There are photos on this thread which maybe of some use.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 63&start=0
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

I have happy memories of turning up there one day with some mates, hoping against hope to get a look round. We were introduced to Allan Baker, the depot manager, who could not have been more helpful and was sorry that there were no Deltics on shed for us to see that day.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Graeme,
Not a drawing, but I wondered if this pic might help with any tiny bit of detail.
(0B02 was the Region's code for any light locos destined for 'Clarence Yard'.)
Attachments
Finsbury Park Diesel Depot; Main shed, north end; Early 1970.
Finsbury Park Diesel Depot; Main shed, north end; Early 1970.
Last edited by StevieG on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
GEM
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by GEM »

:D Yes it does and any pictures will help.

Thanks
Graeme
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

A Brush type 2 (class 31) on the refuelling point at Finsbury Park Diesel Depot or Clarence yard as it was also called probably sometime during the early 1970s. The loco is thought to be 5614 before it's TOPs re-numbering in 1974.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view= ... .KUL7pj51G...

Mickey
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Mickey, I may be wrong, but could the date be a little later, as the loco is covered with a whitish residue, which I know they acquired from going through the carriage washer, between Hornsey stn and Wood Green stn. :wink:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

manna wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:35 am Mickey, I may be wrong, but could the date be a little later, as the loco is covered with a whitish residue, which I know they acquired from going through the carriage washer, between Hornsey stn and Wood Green stn.
You could well be correct manna the date could be around 1974-1976 rather than 1970-1973 but the small piece of text that goes with the photo vaguely eludes to the loco as being D5614 rather than it's later TOPs number?. From vague memory I think the Wood Green washer road and washer facilities that stood along side the Down carriage line midway between Hornsey & Wood Green opened sometime during 1974.

Mickey
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Below not at Finsbury Park MPD but a nice example of a Brush type 2 (class 31) as they were running in the early 1960s in B.R. green livery minus the later added yellow warning front ends plus the locos no.2 end is shown nearest the photographer. Finsbury Park had a large number of Brush type 2s and I'm presuming the loco shown is a preserved loco?.

http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/graphics/locos/D5631.jpg

Mickey