Codes for Passenger Stock

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Codes for Passenger Stock

Post by karlrestall »

StevieG wrote: BFO.....Brake First Open (not sure there were any)
BSO.....Brake Second Open (not sure there were any)
There were deffintly BSO's earlier BTO's. BFO's, AFAIK were BR MkII vehicles, however I think the LMS had BFO's not 100% about the other companies.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

what would the code be please for a BG fitted with a toilet?..just curious.JB.
Multiprinter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Multiprinter »

James Brodie wrote:what would the code be please for a BG fitted with a toilet?..just curious.JB.
Do you know of such a vehicle?
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Multiprinter wrote:
James Brodie wrote:what would the code be please for a BG fitted with a toilet?..just curious.JB.
Do you know of such a vehicle?
Yep - Nos ECJ82 / 102 and 135 fitted out for use in the royal train.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re:

Post by 65447 »

richard wrote:Thanks Mark!

So down the road I'll include a coach code list when I add coaching rolling stock, and then de-sticky this thread :-)

Richard
You'll either need more than one list or a list with plenty of notes.

Except for the Boat Trains, after the late 1930s when Seconds were down-rated to Thirds, the LNER only had First and Third class whereas BR et seq. upped the ante- of Third to Second and then to Standard (fortunately both the latter begin with S, so no further change was necessary to the codes in use).

Other codes also differed between LNER and BR, especially the suffixes to identify such vehicles having a BS gangway or fitted with gangway adaptor, or Westinghouse or dual brake fitted (which was later confused by the air brake finally and sensibly becoming the standard). There are other subtleties to be aware of, for example the difference between an Open Third and a Tourist Open Third was the seating arrangement - 2+1 in the former and 2+2 in the latter, and hence a Tourist Open Third (TTO) did not necessarily have to be of the plywood-sided Tourist stock nor did it have to be fitted with bucket seats! As well as the identifying prefix codes for 4 (Y) and 6 (X) wheel vehicles, which later became suffix codes, there was even SLIP for a Slip Carriage, RLS for Railcar - Steam and RLD for Railcar - Diesel. And finally there was even a code letter to identify the type of lighting - did BR have a code for gas-lit (IG) I wonder?

Lists of LNER telegraph codes were published within the Carriage Working Programmes and used to describe the formation of each train.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Its only taken me 4 years to work that bit of wit.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
James Brodie

Post by James Brodie »

BG mit Lavvy..as Bernard Bresslaw would say "I only arsked"
so would it be BGL or some other sort of Royal Flush!
JB

seriously I think the BR codes are much simpler to use than the LNER ones and on my layout-non prefered 7mm stud contact I do have the two ECJS coaches Mr Bedford mentins in my teak finished LNER Royal Train set.....jb
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I just wondered if a BG was ever an Open and what it would then be?
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Bryan wrote:I just wondered if a BG was ever an Open and what it would then be?
Most of them were open, however some, particularly ex-GE, had a corridor partition but they were still classified BG.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Yes it was O for open that amused me between the B & G.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
James Brodie

Post by James Brodie »

I like it
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

52D wrote:Yes it was O for open that amused me between the B & G.
...and so would one of those had a loo? ... :roll: :)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
James Brodie

Post by James Brodie »

Just a point-(no pun meant)- Open coaches:-
We have teak finished BTOs and TOs but these open thirds can't be misread as the green and cream open thirds because all the tourist open thirds were articulated and the same as the tourist stock brake thirds being flush sided. The teak BTOs being panelled.
JB

May I also mention that the (spit-LMS-spit spit) had a brake end coach mit gangways and a buffet section in it.How would this be described?
Back to the LNER and the other minor railways, the letter B denotes that the vehicle concerned has a guards compartment in it and a handbrake wheel.
This applies whether it is a four or six or bogie vehicle but not including the B when it is used in the catering sense as the guards compartment one the B comes first and the catering the B comes last-are you still with me? 'cos I'm not!
In some of the CWDs mention is made of Clerestory roofed stock and Daylight stock and Transverse corridors and Gresley coaches fitted with LMS style or BS gangways-now that's another B that is mentioned!!
JB.
Multiprinter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Multiprinter »

For the LNER 'Tourist' stock, the code TTOLV stood for TwinTouristOpen etc. It was not until BR wanted to distinguish between 2+1 and 2+2 seating that the first T of TTO stood for Tourist.
James Brodie

Post by James Brodie »

Dear Sir,
have I got your drift wrong? the code TTO is for a single coach-ncidently non of these were painted green and cream as Tourist Stock Trains.
TwinTTO is for the articulated version.
I think you will find the seating arrangements for the single coach TTOs identified somewhere else.bucket seats or normals seats etc.
Happy modelling....Jim brodie.