Captain Baxter visit to Tanfield Railway

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

P&JR
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Captain Baxter visit to Tanfield Railway

Post by P&JR »

The Tanfield Railway is proud to announce that unique 135 year old Fletcher Jennings 0-4-0ST Captain Baxter will be visiting this month.

Captain Baxter has only recently been fitted with vacuum brakes so this will be one of the first chances for passengers to ride behind the locomotive.

Captain Baxter will be in action during our Light Railway Weekend on April 21-22 along with locomotives from our home fleet.

Lots of mixed trains will be running, an ideal weekend for photography and a great opportunity to ride a famous locomotive well away from its normal habitat.

We’re planning on lots of other Light Railway themed goings on too. More information and a timetable will be available shortly.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Captain Baxter visit to Tanfield Railway

Post by Rlangham »

Great news, haven't been fortunate enough to see this lovely little locomotive yet. I'll be in the area this weekend, do you know if Twizell will be running on Saturday or Monday?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

(Moved to Railway Chat - as far as I can see "Captain Baxter" has no LNER connection)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
P&JR
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by P&JR »

I think we're due to have Renishaw Ironworks No. 6 and Sir Cecil A. Cochrane out this weekend. I think Twizell is still having her new firebars fitted. If you're looking for really up to date information though I'd try www.tanfield-railway.blogspot.com if you haven't already.

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong thread, I assumed that as a route formerly operated by the LNER it would count! Is there some official protocal I should be aware of?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think if the news was really about the Tanfield - eg. if they had an extension or new bridge, then "LNER News" would be fine. Here, I think the locomotive is the main part of the news in this example.
If the news was about a "B12 Grand Tour" - then that would be LNER news, even if it was running through Swindon :-)

Also note that minor news can dilute the effectiveness of the forum. For example the return to steam of an LNER locomotive is News, as is a major model announcement (e.g. Dapol's A3 and A4); but a scheduled visit (with little of note) of a well travelled locomotive or a new model livery are much less newsworthy.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
P&JR
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by P&JR »

Captain Baxter has now arrived for the weekend, pictures on our blog at www.tanfield-railway.blogspot.com