The Highwayman

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: The Highwayman

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

Just a queery, did the type 4s have route indicators when the Highway man was running ?
I remember seeing it standing at Stockton station southbound with E.P.discs up.
JB.
Why do they say Up Line going down south when we all know it's Up North ??
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Brodie

Post by James Brodie »

Mickey----Sorry my up and down ref was tongue in cheek---------many a time when carrying out rule 55 as a young fireman if the line wasn't positively north/south but crossways then I would ask the bobby which line we were on.
Jim Brodie potential platform edge white liner. :?
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

As far as I can remember, this was a York EE Type 4 turn. Clarence Yard had not had a cl.40 on it's books for some years prior to the train running although they still saw them right up until very nearly the end of the depot.
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

Quite right about the class 40s, although not based at Clarence Yard they were used on the East Coast until the early 80s. Although the Highwayman was booked both ways for a Class 40 I do remember on at least one occasion being on a Class 47 on this train. Both trains were booked to arrive at Doncaster at around the same time so it would be a straight swop for the train crews. Earlier someone mentioned a night service that ran for a couple of years called the Nightrider on the same principle as the Highwayman with a crew swop at Doncaster, if I remember right it consisted of all 2nd class mark 2 air con stock where as the Highwayman used all Mark 1 stock.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Further to James Brodies emark re which was Up or Down line.

I always was told that the arms on telegraph poles were always on the UP side of the post.

It seemed to right in a lot of photos I have seen
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Dave Cockle »

Just one point about "The Highwayman", it was the only scheduled departure from the old platform ten.

Have just had a look at an old 1970 train register book fro Finsbury Park No 3 and the train is shown to run
Down Goods Line Two to Down Canonbury where it changed from Class five to Class Two.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Dave Cockle wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:31 pm Just one point about "The Highwayman", it was the only scheduled departure from the old platform ten.

Have just had a look at an old 1970 train register book fro Finsbury Park No 3 and the train is shown to run
Down Goods Line Two to Down Canonbury where it changed from Class five to Class Two.
First apologies for my previously deleted posts on this topic that was a misunderstanding on my part.

Strange The Highwayman started from Finsbury Park and not Kings Cross?.

The usual motive power was a EE type 4 or class 40.

I maybe wrong but I thought I read that the journey on this train between Finsbury Park and the north east of England took around 10 hours!?!?
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Dave Cockle »

Have been unable to find the schedule for "The Highwayman" but a well informed friend of mine said the Finsbury Park - Newcastle journey too six hours.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I think it was a fairly 'down beat' kind of service with the train being made up of steam heated B.R.Mk1 coaches and usually worked by a EE type 4 (class 40) also I have a feeling no restaurant or buffet car was provided but I could be wrong about no buffet car?.

The Highwayman was bit of a quirky service that was run by the Eastern region of B.R.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Here's the British Rail poster advertising The Highwayman service back in 1971.

https://www.hemswell-antiques.com/antiq ... 64337.html
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

As I mentioned before the Highwayman ran on Saturday afternoons with some Drivers pushing the schedules a bit hard by trying to run very early on the back working but this did not work out. I remember the Depot Manager posting a notice that the timetable must be adhered to with a 60 mph maximum speed only to be exceeded up to maximum train and track speeds in the event of late running and the changeover times at Doncaster must also also be adhered to.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Dave Cockle wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:31 pm Just one point about "The Highwayman", it was the only scheduled departure from the old platform ten.

In 1970-71 I have a feeling the train on departure from the Down Canonbury line platform at Finsbury Park was 'turned out' along the Down fast line at Finsbury Park No.5?. Although I may be wrong though?. If it went along the Down slow no.1 line from Finsbury Park it would have stayed on the Down slow line at least to Potters Bar I couldn't see it being 'turned out' fast line at New Barnet North Box somehow?.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Mickey wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 pm

In 1970-71 I have a feeling the train on departure from the Down Canonbury line platform at Finsbury Park was 'turned out' along the Down fast line at Finsbury Park No.5?. Although I may be wrong though?. If it went along the Down slow no.1 line from Finsbury Park it would have stayed on the Down slow line at least to Potters Bar I couldn't see it being 'turned out' fast line at New Barnet North Box somehow?.
Think there was still a Slow-Fast 'turn-out'at New Southgate in that period Mickey; though being slowed anywhere on the rising 1 in 200 to be turned-out might not have been liked by drivers
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \