Bridge Numbering.

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Bridge Numbering.

Post by PinzaC55 »

No that's an absolutely standard NER bridgeplate. I've seen enough bridgeplates in auctions over my 30 years as a railwayana collector to know that only North Eastern lines had this pattern with the caveat that the LNER and BR(NE) made them where new bridges were added. You can usually tell an original NER from a later one by the amount of rainwater pitting on the back.
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sss750 »

Has anyone got a copy of the line diagrams covering the King Edward bridge and High Level bridge at Tyneside. If so I would like a photo of the area showing these bridges, with the bridge number shown please if possible. Thanks!

Also I want to know if anyone could find out, what was the highest numbered bridge number on the NER system?
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

Yesterday I called in at a railwayana and secondhand book shop on a preserved railway. The (quite knowledgeable) enthusiast running it was puzzled by a bridge plate. The one on the left is, of course, North Eastern railway - but is the one on the right NER also? He's puzzled because it's slightly larger - although this might be because of the extra digit - but also because it's subtly different. It's also rather poorly executed - the numerals don't line up. Can anyone confirm its origins?
Attachments
Bridge plates.jpg
laeeal
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by laeeal »

Hi all
Can anyone help me with where my plate might have come from?
Many thanks
Attachments
IMG_20200215_143433 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20200215_143433 - Edited.jpg (24.91 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

There is a 1736 between Ely North Junction and Littleport though the plate is not the style i would expect. The LNER could have rebuilt it.