spooky railway locations

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: spooky railway locations

Post by Mickey »

That was quite an isolated location Woodhead tunnel box.
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
There was a signalbox in one of the Woodhead tunnels, which was closed in 1909(I think). That must have been a terrible place to work. Either covered with steam and smoke or alone in the darkness with dripping water.

Earlswood nob
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yes Woodhead single bore tunnels.
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Totley Tunnel is another with a cavern in it.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

earlswood nob wrote:G'day all
There was a signalbox in one of the Woodhead tunnels, which was closed in 1909(I think). That must have been a terrible place to work. Either covered with steam and smoke or alone in the darkness with dripping water.

Earlswood nob
Looks like more info. about this box, here :
http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.ph ... t=woodhead
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by sandwhich »

I remember a signal box at Holborn Low level in the City of London in the tunnels between Farringdon and Snow Hill which must have been quite gloomy, it was very busy at night during the week with steam hauled cross London freights in either direction but there were none on Saturday and if this box was manned on this night it also must have seemed spooky in the quiet. During World War Two it must have been very frightening to have worked there on nights with the bombing raids above going on above night after night.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yes it sounded like a spooky place sandwhich.
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

sandwhich wrote:I remember a signal box at Holborn Low level in the City of London in the tunnels between Farringdon and Snow Hill which must have been quite gloomy, it was very busy at night during the week with steam hauled cross London freights in either direction but there were none on Saturday and if this box was manned on this night it also must have seemed spooky in the quiet. During World War Two it must have been very frightening to have worked there on nights with the bombing raids above going on above night after night.
I think there was a box, either just south of the tunnel(s?)/bridge(s), down in the cutting beside the High Level Terminus, or, (still not actually in-tunnel) just north of the overbridge for the road that ran past the High Level station's entrance?
Could this be the one you're thinking of sandwhich?
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

There was a signal box that straddled the tracks at the top of Snow Hill bank beside Holborn Viaduct station but there was definitely one in the tunnels not far from the long abandoned platforms of Holborn Low Level station.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

There was once a box called Granville between Kings Cross & Farringdon on the Widen lines from the 1880s-1920s that was in a spooky location.
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Thanks v.m. sandwhich.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

For me, it's got to be Harrow Wealdstone station, especially at night, and I'm not the only railwayman to have felt ill at ease there.
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

Moorgate NCL is another place that sometimes sends a shiver through you.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

sandwhich wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:36 am There used to be a signal box called Cemetery between New Southgate and Oakleigh Park as the name implies a cemetery was right behind the box, that must have seemed very spooky on occasions especially at night when a fog descended.
Mentioning earlier of Moorgate, the line from Drayton Park into Moorgate when it was part of the Underground was said to be haunted in a number of places, but over many years of driving down there since 1980 until 2010 nothing was seen by myself or as far as I know by nobody else either.
I forget whether I commented at the time on your mention of this Moorgate line, sandwich, but while based at Finsbury Park 1977 - '79 I walked the entire length of both tunnels two or three times for official purposes during the nightly, and the then weekend, normal shutdown periods, but never saw or felt anything disturbing.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

The terrible accident at Moorgate in 1975 on what is Platform 9 when it was part of LU does make the mind tick over but despite the stories I never saw or heard anything out of the ordinary down there. I first mentioned the 1970s short film "The Signalman" think its time for a remake.