A4 class drawings

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Evgen
NER Y7 0-4-0T

A4 class drawings

Post by Evgen »

Hello!
I am interested in the A4 class locomotive model. It is a beautiful and perfect machine. I am planning to assemble a detailed model of it. I need detailed drawings of key blocks.
I am interested in following drawings (digital form):
- frame,
- wheels,
- bogies,
- cylinders,
- operator`s cabin,
- the general form.
Maybe somebody can share with me some drawings or buy it.
I made request to the archive. However, they said that I need to note catalogue references for drawings. As I have not possibilities to visit the archive, I have troubles with drawing identification. Possibly, you can help me and make catalogue references for drawings I am interested in.
Best regards,
Yauhen
2512silverfox

Re: A4 class drawings

Post by 2512silverfox »

It would probably help to know:

What scale your model is to be.

Where you are based geographically.

What period in the A4's history is it to represent.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Evgen wrote:Hello!
I am interested in the A4 class locomotive model. It is a beautiful and perfect machine. I am planning to assemble a detailed model of it. I need detailed drawings of key blocks.
I am interested in following drawings (digital form):
You will only get digital drawings from the National Railway Museum. Look through the drawings on this page for those that are readily available.
Evgen
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Evgen »

my name is Yauhen.
I am from the Republic of Belarus.
What scale your model is to be.
1:8 scale model. That is the reason I need proper data for the maschine.
What period in the A4's history is it to represent.
It is not principle. The most important is to find an information for modelling.
You will only get digital drawings from the National Railway Museum. Look through the drawings on this page for those that are readily available.
Not necessarily in digital form, I need as well drawings in paper. By the way any form is helpful.

Best regards,
Yauhen
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Can I suggest that you start by ordering the three drawings from the Isinglass Range made from both works drawings and practical experience by the late John Edgson, whose work was and continues to be the best available for the modeller.

BY studying them, you would be able to determine the extra information that you need.

7mm scale drawings are about 12.00 sterling plus post and packing
10mm and 1/32 scale 17.50 plus post and packing.

the relevant numbers are 222/223/224 and you can get a brief view by checking the web site
here http://www.isinglass-models.co.uk/html/catalogue.html

I agree the York lists are complex, but with you having more understanding, then it might be easier to find what you need.

Paul
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

That is going to be some model in 7.25 gauge!!

Driving wheels 10in in diameter

Length not far off 10ft!!!
Evgen
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Evgen »

[quoteThat is going to be some model in 7.25 gauge!!][/quote]
If there are necessary drawings!
Driving wheels 10in in diameter
Length not far off 10ft!!!
Yes

Paul, thank you for the advice!
I am a kind of misunderstanding what these drawings are? Are these drawings for the definite scale or processed (extended) drawing of a real machine? I would like to work with original drawings (at least with the main elements: frame,wheels,bogies,cylinders). From the original drawing I can obtain any scale.
Best regards
Yauhen
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Yauhen
they are available in a number of scales, mainly for the uk modelling market. Whilst I understand you would prefer to work from the original drawings, they are traditionally either 1in to 1foot or 1.5 in to 1foot, and the real problem is that many of them are not good copies of the originals.

My suggestion is that you check out these drawings to give yourself a better idea of what the original was made of, and how it was put together, then you would be able to give us a better view of what you need.

Paul
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Yauhen

The A4 General arrangement drawing is available from this page as a scan.

As far as I can see most of the detail drawings are available from this list, but because of the way Doncaster drawing office organised their archives the A4 drawings are spread throughout the list. The archive is organised so that all boilers are in one section, all frames are in another, etc, etc. Not all of these drawings will have been scanned so a full set is going to be expensive.

The NRM have pulled together this list of drawings for the P2 2-8-2, which may help you decide which drawing you need to order for a A4.

The A4 Engine Order (E.O.) numbers were 338, 340, 341, 341A, 342 & 343. This will help finding your way through the drawings list.

Finally, this website advertises laser cut A4 frames in 7 1/4" gauge, and this one offers castings for 5" gauge, but not 7 1/4"
Evgen
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Evgen »

LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 61962 »

Yauhen,

The E.O.'s are not individual locomotives, they are the Works Orders for the construction of batches of locomotives, hence E.O. 338 is the instruction to Doncaster Works to build four locomotives which were given the running numbers 2509 to 2512. These were the initial locomotives for the Silver Jubilee service in 1935. According to RCTS green book part 2A the EOs were as follows:

338 2509 - 12
340 4482 - 91
341 4492 - 8
341A 4462 - 4
342 4465 - 9, 99, 4500, 4900 - 2
343 4903

Very few modifications were made to the A4 basic design during and for that matter after the construction period. The significant visual changes were the revised manufacturing method of the streamline casing at the front end, which on the first four engines was more or less hand formed, and on the rest made using press tools. The lengthening of the front buffers and draw hooks on the first four engines in response to a fatal accident. The introduction of the double chimney on 4468 and the final three locomotives when built, later to be provided to the rest of the class in the late 1950's. The removal of the below footplate valences or skirts in the early 1940s. In general despite the four year construction period the A4s were kept identical and the drawings will apply to them all. Note there were three versions of the 5000 gallon tender used on these engines and that tenders were rotated over the years, often associated with the need for locomotives being required to work the non stop services. The tenders were build under separate works orders. Several changes in livery and two revisions of the running numbers and name changes to various locomotives are other factors that might influence the choice of locomotive to model. There were, over time, many detail revisions to the locomotives that were, for the most part, due to general updates applied to all of the locomotive stock of the Gresley/Thompson/Peppercorn family of locomotives. As with all scale modelling, once you have decided which locomotive to model, it is as well to determine the period that you are going to model it, if not the actual day month and year.

Regards

Eddie
Evgen
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Evgen »

For me it is not essential in a specific model of a steam locomotive. The main thing very accurately to build a particular model. Can you recommend, on a steam locomotive needs to pay attention?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Hi Evgen,
this was produced from digital copies of the original works drawings, which surprisingly enough were not very helpful at all - they are old, damaged and barely readable in some respects, although it is a miracle we do still have them. The actual base drawing took two years to complete, deciphered from the works drawings and my own workarounds and photographs - all of that just for a 2D drawing. I am not able to distribute or post photos of my actual copies as that was the agreement upon which my copies were purchased. If you want your own copies i'm afraid you'll have to contact the NRM directly. I am shortly about to embark on the A4 in 3D form, but using my own drawings as a base. As an example, here is 60019 circa 2008;
60019 small 1.png
Disclamier - I went to stupid lengths to get it all right, but there are two small issues with this drawing - the air pump between the tender frames is not present and the modern equipment cables, although present on the nose, are not present on the tender. I really do need to get around to sorting that. If anyone thinks the chimney looks too short, that's because it is. 60019's chimney is about three inches shorter than standard, i can only guess that it's for wider route operation, but nevertheless i have replicated it here, along with Bittern's other preservation 'quirks'
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Evgen
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Evgen »

Hello!

Received from the archive list of drawings for A4 class. In the list, the drawings are divided into 6 columns: E.O.338; E.O.340, E.O.341;E.O.341A; E.O.342;E.O.343;O
What is in the column "O"? Are these general drawings for all orders?
bucoops
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by bucoops »

I appreciate this thread is a couple of months old now but does anyone know how accurate the SNG GA drawing here is?

https://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/sales/ga.html