A V2 in O Gauge - GeoffB

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

A V2 in O Gauge - GeoffB

Post by GeoffB »

Hi All,

I've just started building a V2 in O gauge, from a Right Price Railway Co Kit. The kit is a challenge to build, if for no other reason than lack of instructions. Some of the parts do need a little modification to achieve a good result, but it is, after all, a very cheap kit, so I have to bear this in mind. (It is less than half the price of another V2 lit on the market).

I have had to do quite a bit of research and am particularly fortunate that I have recent photos of Green Arrow with many detail shots included along with a fair amount of literature on the class.

I also recently vistited the NRM (last week - see other forum topics) and got a load of detail shots of the tender along with measurements provided by Ian Spark, one of the friendly NRM staff (lucky guy is one of the support crew for GA and goes with her everywhere she goes - including a lot on the footplate!).

Anyway, here are some pics of the tender almost finished with extra details added that doesn't come in the kit - brake gear, correct front and coal doors to tender, rear top hand rail, pipe from vac reservoir, toolboxes, etc. (And before anybody says - yes the coupling hook has brewers droop!!! It was put temporarily in place for the pics and I didn't notice it had slipped till after the pics were taken!!).

I will post some more as the loco progresses over the next few months.

GeoffB
Attachments
TenderRear_View_DSCF3977.jpg
Finally a close up of the rear view - in this view can be seen the rear of the brake gear
(145.67 KiB) Downloaded 940 times
TenderRear_Top_3qtrView_DSCF3976.jpg
Another view - a little higher note the scruffy fish vans behind the tender - one definitely needs some workshop attention - leaky roof an all!!
(133.11 KiB) Downloaded 918 times
TenderRear_3qtrView_DSCF3975.jpg
Tender rear from 3/4 view - note the "brewers droop" coupling hook!! Also, the brake gear is nicely visible through the side frames and from behind.
(123.6 KiB) Downloaded 917 times
TenderFront_DSCF3972.jpg
Close up of the tender front showing the coal doors and reshaped front detail added to complete the tender in GA form. The only things missing are the injector feed levers and the cutout in the front coal plate for the fire irons. Note the broken hand bra
(138.66 KiB) Downloaded 920 times
TenderFront_3qtrView_DSCF3973.jpg
General view of the tender from the front - the J72 recently reviewed is lurking in the background. In both the front views the brake gear under the front plate can be seen.
(130.75 KiB) Downloaded 937 times
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

Beautiful piece of work Geoff! This is one of the very few times I wish I modelled something larger than N gauge, I'm envious.

John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes they look very good.

O is tempting. I have vague long term plans for an 'Inglenook' style O shunting layout. Not enough room for anything like a V2 though.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Geoff,

That looks very nice indeed. One of the objectives for the new clubroom of our Clay Cross Model Railway Society is to build an 0 gauge layout, and some members have already bought loco kits. They have had little incentive to build them because they have no where to run them.

0 Gauge is ideal for club layouts, few people have the resources to build a really large one. I think we all like to see long trains rattling round large continuous layouts and you don't start to get a feeling of momentum, of kinetic energy or of the practically unstoppable mass in motion until you get to O Gauge.

Colombo
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Thanks Guys! It is nice to get compliments - especially from those who have done a lot more modelling than I.

I do like O gauge - it does get a real feeling of something of "real" power and mass - and they are heavy!!!

I have the often enviable situation of having a 240 feet double track run in a continuous loop around the garden and running full length trains at scale speeds really is great to see.

I also have the unenviable task of doing it all myself - can't find anyone local who is interested so it's a big task - this summers work is to complete the track laying after virtually 2/3rds of the run has been uprooted and moved to allow the 5" gauge ground level to be built over the past 2 years.

I have yet to find a club like yours who wish to run O gauge. The track is there to run.

So, if there's anyone out there in the Cleethorpes/Grimsby area who wants to go O then just contact me and you can run here anytime you wish - when it's built!!!

GeoffB
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

Hi GeoffB

Have you been to any of the Gainsborough MRS opendays?

They have a massive O Gauge layout.
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Richard.
You should be able to get to get an O gauge Inglenook in about 8ft length. The length of the loco has little real impact on the length of the layout, the length of the stock is far more important. I designed one for myself in O gauge last year, it is still waiting to be built as I have no where (yet), to put it. I have a BR Jinty, with a J25 partially completed and most of the bits for a WD2-8-0 - all of which were to be used on it. When I get the right space I will start again.
Andy
[/quote]
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

This could be a few years away, as priorities are towards a part-finished NTrak module and the mountains of kits that I always seem to have!

However, I gave up on my N layout, so I have a good ('good' for a non-carpetner!) 4ft x 2ft6 baseboard with side shelf for controller(s).
So the plan is to build an Aberford Railway inspired Inglenook and a narrow gauge (O-9) loop and transfer siding(s). The real Aberford Railway really did have the odd narrow gauge feeder at various times but details and photos are pretty much non-existent. I would then design the loop so that it could be used as an N test track.
With a 4ft board now, I would have an extension board for the head-shunt.
Also the engine would be a Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST with "late pre-Grouping" wagons.

I would start with some wagon kits. If I get on well with those, I'd then investigate the loco kit, etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Hi Guys,

Stephen, I have been to Gainsboro but that is about 35 miles away and the people I have met there are mainly from Lincoln and the Notts borders and none from my outpost!! :( Will just have to keep mentioning it - someone somewhere may be listening.

Richard, Andy is right. There are some excellent layouts in the GOG in some very tight spaces - in fact they ran a competition a couple or so years ago where they had to build a layout in 2003 sq ins (for the telford 2003 exhibition) and there were some excellent layouts entered (8ft 4 ins by 20ins wide is 2000sq ins - for those who can't do sums that is!!!) :D

My J72 is about the same size as the V2 tender - litereally (you can just see it in one of the photos dwarfed by the tender) so a couple of tanks and a small tender engine with some suburban carriages plus goods vans etc and you have a nice little layout.

GeoffB
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks Geoff. As I say this is a couple of years away. I had found the Gauge O Guild website, and would probably join nearer the time. For a start, I'm sure its a good source of information, parts, kit info, etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

So Im not the only person in N.E. Lincs who dabbles in O gauge. Was begining to think I was! Would be interested to see the finished V2. have just completed a Boston C12 next an Immingham K2. do you have a contact for Right Price? I know they arnt supposed to be the greatest kits but theysuit my budget.
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

61650GTFC wrote:just completed a Boston C12.
Any chance of a picture of it? I live nere Skegness and I'm a member of the Boston MRS. My fellow members might like to see a picture of it.
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

I have no photo's at present but that should be easy to sort out. I will Post some pictures on here in the next few days.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

I have just posted some photos of the C12 on another thread. They are a bit large and not of the best quality. It was either a new camera or a new kit. My model railway won.
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Hi GTFC,

Been a couple of busy weeks, so sorry I didn't reply earlier. If you are thinking of a K2 from Right Price, they only do a K1 apparently. A K3 is next on their agenda. Their address and phone no is in the Gauge O Guild Gazette, but I can give you their no: 01924 897660.

The kits are a "near" representation of the actual and they do need to be checked against drawings from someone like Isinglass (or if you're lucky enough - the real drawings scaled to 7mm!!).

I checked the parts against both Isinglas and actual Gresley drawings (that I luckily obtained later) and referred to lots of photographs and found that there are quite a few mistakes in the measurements and some of the finer pieces (like the smokebox saddle plate) are way over size and have to be re made. So, if doing one of their kits, they do a job but do be prepared to recut/make certain parts - and, no, before you ask - I'm not a rivet counter but I do like the model to be a reasonably close representation of the real thing. With this in mind, they do give a starting point for the basis of a reasonable model.

If you care to email Richard for my email address to contact me off-site then perhaps we can meet up for a chat - I'm just in the throes of rerouting my garden 'O' line, so you're welcome to come along and have a look - and run some of your locos when it's operational.

Regards,

Geoff.