Nathan's rolling stock and loco workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Nathan's rolling stock and loco workbench

Post by 73082gibbers »

Hi all,

Firstly, let me introduce myself. I'm Nathan, an Apprentice Fitter for Southern Rail (TOC) and am an avid LNER follower. I volunteer with the Bluebell in the loco ops department as a cleaner - on hiatus currently - as well as at Stewarts Lane with the Merchant Navy Preservation Society, looking after 35028 Clan Line.

Over the past year and a half, I have started branching out in the unknown world of kit bashing, and repaints of rtr stock. My first attempt was of the Bachmann Henrietta, which I repainted into a dark purpley red, similar to what the NER W&U tramcars used to carry. It was originally meant to be done in teak, but following a problem with paints mixing and reacting with eachother on the body, this was taken off, and the red applied - as seen below.

Fastforward to about April 2014, and the coach was again repainted. Following on from my two repaints of Emily's coaches into teak - Phoenix Precisions teak base and golden teak being used - the W&U coach again got it's turn. It was stripped as best as possible, and reprimed. Then, the same was done with this as per the first two bachmann coaches done. Teak base, followed by Golden teak drybrushed over. This was the coach, and one of the six wheelers on show with a Dean Sidings P tank kit I'd repainted for a friend.

During this time, roughly April - June, I started work on a fictional kitbash locomotive, utilising a Bachmann Junior 0-6-0ST chassis, spare buffers from a Dean Sidings kit, and also a B12 tender and chassis. The engines body was originally going to be a scratch built one from firebox - smokebox utilising the original engines cab, and smokebox door. This failed to come to fruitition, and I eventually obtained a Dapol schools class kit, butchering the cab, boiler and smokebox into a shorter formation to fit onto the JR chassis' running plate. The smokebox door was inverted, and filled with filler, with the original smokebox door from the JR engine being placed into the filler. The dome was a spare Terrier one, and the sandboxes from the same kit as the buffers were. The lamp Irons were from Mainly Trains's brass fet, and were super glued in place. Due to the nature of the engine's stumpy looks, the original B12 tender body didn't really match the engine itself, so it was taken off, and a plasticard one made in it's place. The new tender body utilised a few Lego bricks to keep it sturdy, but more on that later.

I shall add more to this thread in due course with current projects and recently completed ones too.

Any comments on the currently posted repaints would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Nathan...
Last edited by 73082gibbers on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern by location, Eastern by nature

Visit my workbench at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10406
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Nathan's madhouse workbench

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, Nathan!

They look rather good. Well done you!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up, Nathan!

They look rather good. Well done you!

Most appreciated fella!

Following on from my initial post yesterday, here's a shot of the two coach kit's I've built. The first, is an Ian Kirk LNER full third, which I have finished off as GNR No.42440. The second, is an Ex LNWR coach - which I know should technically be brown, but I like teak finishes on stock, and that old saying of "it's my railway, etc, etc..." which will eventually be finished in the 10000 range of numbers.. Any assistance on this would be most appreciated!!

Further to this, I managed to acquire a half completed Kirk Brake coach, which has had the seating painted blue, so eventually, once completed, will become LNER BFK 24290.

As you might be able to tell, I mainly tend to do work on models, on my bedrooms drawers where my laptop sits.

Following on from Hornby's announcement earlier today that they've released a load of LNER teaks in the early BR guise, I bit the bullet and purchased the full first, E11000. With this in mind, I have decided that I will be utilising two corridor sets of Gresley stock. One in LNER/ GNR teak, the other, in post LNER, early BR teak. Hopefully, following on from the fact that a friend of mine owes me for the LMS saloon I bought him, I might be able to persuade him to get me the Buffet car, E9126, so that I can form a four coach setup.

Watch this space!!

Nathan...

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening people.

I need some advice. I acquired a Lima GUV bogie van last week for a mere £9, with the intention of repainting it into pullman umber as Luggage van No.8.

The van has been split into it's primary sections - bogies, underframe, body, and roof/ glazing. Tomorrow I'll be priming the body, however I would like your opinion on a base coat for it prior to umber being applied. Should I go for a muddy brown type colour, or just go straight for umber? Also, the glazing appears to have a slight gap between it finishing, and the outside of the window recess - as per most rolling stock with flush glaze type glazing. Should I put some filler over the protruding window sections whilst they're attached to the body to allow them to be flush to it as per the photo above, which thankfully is still around, at Stewarts Lane depot. Any advice would be smashing as it'd allow me to progress with this small project before the year is out.

Cheers!

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening all!

Had a nice bit of time to myself today, and having already primed a load of coach bodies yesterday afternoon - two gresley CK's, a BCK, and the GUV, I decided I'd spend today tackling the BCK.

The initial plan was to model it on a GNR full third brake, however no numbers were able to be sourced, so I settled with BCK No.90.
I started off by putting on a coat of Phoenix Precisions Teak Base - the last of my tinlet - and set the coach body and ends aside. Then, I used some Railmatch 623 LNER Coach Teak paint to paint the sole bars of the underframe. Next, having both dried out rather quickly, another coat of paint was applied to the sole bars, and a top coat of Phoenix Precisions Golden Teak, drybrushed - heavily spread - applied to the ends and bodyshell. Then came the roof grey. This was Phoenix Precisions SR Coach roof grey, which seemed a good idea at the time of painting, as opposed to humbrol matt white, which in my past experiences, runs, goes off, and mixes with the teak paint... Then finally, after the top coat had fully dried, perhaps due to me leaving the bodyshell on my windowsil in the sunlight for a few hours, the transfers were applied as follows. I'm not sure if I've placed the GNR crest in the correct area, or if I'm supposed to have GREAT NORTHERN lettering on the opposite side to the crest - on the corridor side of the shell.

Also painted up, was a Hornby four wheeler's sole bars, in the same method to that of No.90's. This method has been standardised throughout my eventual three coach 58ft 1 1/2in set.

EDIT: Direct links removed and attachments uploaded instead.

Addition:

As part of my growing suburban set - eventually four coaches long. I managed to obtain a Ratio midland suburban that was finished in teak as LT&SR No.71. Since the photo below was taken, I decided to add brass bearings to the bogies, and a set of metal wheels from Hornby. It now runs better than it originally did, however might require some washers between the bogies and the center pivots on the underframe as it starts to ride with a slant on my friends layout.

Also below is my finished product of the crude Airfix schools/ Bachmann Junior/ Hornby B12 tender chassis bash that I came up with back in April. The engine is a GER J42 - nonexistant - numbered 268 (unknown to me at the time that a J72 carried that number too) finished in GER royal blue, with white roof, but featuring LNER on the tender sides with an ECJS crest.
That's all from me for this weekend, however tomorrow I finally get to obtain my example of Hornby's latest teak coach offerings in the form of the Full First coach, so may have to provide a photo of it together with No.90, and the two coaches from the 1948 Olympics pack, so watch this space!!
Attachments
Staging of the paint job for the Short brake.
Staging of the paint job for the Short brake.
Hornby four wheeler sole bar repaint
Hornby four wheeler sole bar repaint
LT&SR 1st No.71
LT&SR 1st No.71
GER J42 No.268
GER J42 No.268
Last edited by 73082gibbers on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

73082: Deep-linking to your images is appreciated. If you trimmed them or reduced the size a little bit, they won't mess up the forum formatting so much. The width is the issue with the formatting, although some readers might appreciate images with lower height (?)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

richard wrote:73082: Deep-linking to your images is appreciated. If you trimmed them or reduced the size a little bit, they won't mess up the forum formatting so much. The width is the issue with the formatting, although some readers might appreciate images with lower height (?)
Hi, Didn't realise it was an issue, so have removed the links, and attached the photos instead!

I obtained my example of Hornby's recent Gresley coach releases, in the form of FK No.E11000, and it is a fine runner and example at that! My only niggle with it is the inlay tray itself, which appears to have been cheapend to a flimsy plastic as opposed to the older robust and far more rigid plastic ones that the original super detail gresley coaches came supplied in. Other than that, it's made a fine addition to my collection, and to my post war rake, currently at three now, with a buffet car to join them later in the month!
Attachments
Gresley FK E11000 out of the box and on test
Gresley FK E11000 out of the box and on test

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening all!

Further progress on the Pullman baggage car No.8... The bogies - bachmann mk1 ones, were secured in place this evening. This was achieved with a pair of M3x20mm bolts and nuts, and multiple M3 and M5 flat washers. The result is a smooth riding Lima body and underframe, on up to date bogies. The next stage will be painting the body with a brown base coat prior to Umber being applied later in the month.

Till next time!

Nathan...
Attachments
10744958_4834740084537_1041364729_n.jpg
10728985_4834740724553_1743461852_n.jpg

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening chaps and chappettes!

The latest of my short stock repaints - old Hornby Gresley coaches - is nearing completion!

This one used a base coat of Revell 103 Cream, followed by a top coat of Phoenix Precisions P997 Golden Teak, mixed with Revell Satin cote. The result is a phenomenally lighter finish to that of my previous repaints! Much more in line with Hornby's super detailed teak finishes! This one will become an LNER finished one, however will be a fictitious modern mainline certified coach, and will carry the number 99359, in LNER style numbering. The transfers used will be HMRS LNER presfix ones.

That's all for today, and probably this week!

Till next time!!

Nathan...
Attachments
99359 post teaking
99359 post teaking

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Good afternoon folks!

The second short coach is now completed! Whilst the lining is something to be improved upon on the final coach - CK 2701 - I think this one has to be the best I've done repaint wise. The coach has been finished with a fictional number, 99359, and is supposed to be mainline certified, hence the tops numbering, and also the yellow axlebox covers on the bogies. The transfers used were the usual HMRS Presfix ones.

And now the third coach begins. This one shall have a wood base coat vice cream or teak base, as I want it to be an experiment paint job wise, giving me three varied finishes. The first having been P995 Teak base and P997 Golden Teak, the second Humbrol 103 Cream, and a mix of P997 and Satin Cote. The colour for this one will use Humbrol 110 Natural wood, with the same top coat of P997 and Satin Cote.
Meanwhile, the VSOE Baggage car No.8 is still progressing, slowly. The body was due to recieve a coat of Humbrol 10 Brown today, however it never got touched in the end due to a room clearup taking place instead. Once this has been applied, it'll be shelved for the most part of November whilst I acquire the Umber paint, and also the pullman transfers for it. I also need to replace the bogies as the real example of the van runs - or rather ran - with Commonwealth bogies.

Until then, I'll be starting work on the fourth installment to my suburban coach set, currently comprising of a thompson brake, a gresley CL, and a ratio suburban finished in LT&SR teak. The last one will be another brake third, but similar to the LT&SR one - it'll be a ratio kit being used. I intend on having it finished as either a GCR one, or an ECJS coach, and the aim of the complete four coach set, is to show the different types of teak bodied suburban stock.

Until then, stay tuned!

Nathan...
Attachments
Lined out coach
Lined out coach
99359 numbering and part of lining out
99359 numbering and part of lining out

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Hi all,

Not really an update on my goings on as such, but a stock acquiring one, sort of. Enroute home from Warley, having picked up the last Post war teak from Hornby - their site having run out, from the Locomotion NRM stand for £50. However, on picking up the Buffet car - the coach in question, I was informed that they were on a BOGOF offer, so I also picked up the full third, E12716. In addition to these, I also acquired an N gauge LMS Stove R in Pullman livery, Phoenix Precision's Pullman Umber, and LNER Coach teak, as well as Commonwealth bogies for the Pullman GUV project, and two pod motors for my two GWR 2-6-0's of which the originals of both went bang... Lastly, I picked up a Dapol Dark Star Brewery van from Simply Southern - An Xmas present for my father, who happens to like the ale in particular, but no doubt, it'll end up back in my possession eventually...

On the project side of things, I have come into possession of two more Bachmann six wheelers, which will become the last two coaches in my vintage set. One will be converted into a Brake end - plasticard Duckets, and the other will be a Full Third, possibly in LNER branding vice GNR/ ECJS. These, and the Pullman GUV, will keep me busy ntil early next year, unless I get them all completed sooner than that...

Till next time!

Nathan!!

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Hi all!

A small update from me. I've started the process of converting my two original hornby super detail pullmans, Argus, and Car No.64, to have the newer NEM camplates. So far, I've unclipped the bogies off of both, and removed the screws from the keeper plates of the camplates. I'm now awaiting the arrival of the replacement ones so that I can then refit them, and then resolder the wire from the bogies to the lights. I haven't yet cut the wires, as I'm tempted to just cut a slot into the old plates, and slide them out, as to not damage the wiring, and then do the reverse on the new plates when they arrive too. Coupling wise, I'm looking at getting some more of the close couplers that come with the 12 wheel pullmans, just because they are more robust and better looking than the ex Roco ones supplied with the 8 wheel ones.

In terms of acquisitions, to add to what I purchased at Warley last weekend, I have now come into possession of a bachmann GCR Pom Pom, LNER 5317, for christmas from my mother.
J11 5217
J11 5217
On that note folks, Good night!

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening chaps and chappettes!

Another update from me!

Firstly, the third insallment of my six wheel coach repaints has been completed. This coach was primed, as per the norm, and then had a coat of Humbrol 103 Cream applied as a base coat, and then once dry, a drybrushed coat of Phoenix Precision P60 GNR/ LNER coach teak. The result is a truly astounding coach! The fourth, and final coach will be a brake end, either a 2 compartment 3rd or a 3 compartment composite.
Six wheeler No.3
Six wheeler No.3
Today, I won this little beauty on Ebay for a nice sum of £32. It is a scratch built body running on an Airfix 14XX chassis, with a scratch built tender behind it. The finish appears to be something to be desired, but with a bit of work, it should eventually look good! It is a GNR E1 2-4-0 No.1069. My aim, if it arrives before christmas, will be to run it with the six wheel coaches - which are finished as GNR/ ECJS stock.
E1 1069
E1 1069
Till next time!

Nathan..

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Nice engine there!

I've bought a few of his kit/ scratchbuilds; with a bit of work and looking at prototype photographs/ scale drawings they can be turned into pretty decent models- earlier this year I bought a 'Lord Faringdon' (LNER B3) off of him. Fitted with new wheels, reworked the front frames, replaced the boiler fittings and gave it a repaint- an easy 'bulling up' project.

Good luck with it.
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Cheers James!

She arrived today, quite prompt on delivery I must say! Must have made the last pickup for parcels lastnight... It turns out that the engine is whitemetal in construction, and the tender is the Airfix Stirling Single one, with a mount added at the back for a hornby coupling - fat one unfortunately. The tender drawbar construction baffled me a bit as it is just the Airfix coupling with the hook taken off for the loop part, and a brass screw on the tender part, which sits inside the gap on the coupling.. I'm yet to give her a test run, but I can only assume that a bit of work will be required to be undertaken to the wheels and contacts in order to get her moving again...

1069 on a bit of a photo shoot with my current set of GNR/ ECJS coaches. Just the brake coach to go now!
10836232_4969097083378_821714119_n.jpg
The finish on the paintwork is absolutely immaculate!
10540996_4969096923374_364327712_n.jpg
Till next time folks!!!

Nathan