Lane Head C&W

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Lane Head C&W

Post by JASd17 »

A new venture at last.

First up JW's request for more Parkside mutations below.

This one is again a 9 ft. wheelbase, I have chopped up the Parkside solebar, filling in at the ends. Etches disguise the latter, Ambis wagons bits? The W irons and axleboxes, RCH pattern, are MJT too.

The short roof and angled end posts were a feature of a number of LNER vans, which was later dropped.

I cannot recall whether this van, or the steel u/f version had an outside end-shutter.

The background is certainly not LNER.

John
Attachments
DSC_0053 low res crop.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Lane Head C&W

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

JASd17 wrote:
The short roof and angled end posts were a feature of a number of LNER vans, which was later dropped.

John
Is that why the roof supplied in my old 1970s 3H van kit seemed barely long enough to cover the van body? At the time I just thought it was a case of a "near enough" approach on the part of the manufacturer.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Excellent, John. I look forward to what you're going to entertain us with.

This is my previous effort at the unfitted van. My door alterations aren't as tidy as yours.

That roof length was a subtlety which had escaped me. Do you have any more details?

I also see wheelbase on the solebar, which I thought was on fitted vehicles only. Was that an early feature which was dropped, something works specific or just something you took from a photograph?
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Like Atlantic, I just thought the roof was too short on my 3H models, and never gave it a thought.

Keep em coming.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

jwealleans wrote: That roof length was a subtlety which had escaped me. Do you have any more details?

I also see wheelbase on the solebar, which I thought was on fitted vehicles only. Was that an early feature which was dropped, something works specific or just something you took from a photograph?
The model of 167449 is based on Plate 62 in the original blue Tatlow wagons book. Short roof and wheelbase marked.

The shorter roof boards seem to have been tried on vans built around 1932, going on the limited information I have. A number of fruit vans had this variation which can be seen in both versions of Tatlow. I think the idea must have caused problems with the end posts and was dropped.

John
Last edited by JASd17 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Graeme didn't the 3H kits have a photo on the box? That might give a clue.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It did/does - there's one here.

Looke to have the conventional roof arrangement to me.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Thanks for the link Jonathan.

The same photo of 151217 appears as Plate 63 in the original Tatlow. I think it was built in 1927 and it has the conventional roof.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Another shot of the steel u/f van originally posted on JW's thread.

The outside end shutter is made up from plasticard. Vehicle number 3 is another Parkside adaptation, short roof again, the end louvres are made using the body of a LIMA SNCF diesel model, the spacing was spot-on. It will be a fruit van, with large lettering, when I get round to painting it.

The brake van is the well-known Slater's kit with added duckets.

John
Attachments
Stack 4 van 141218 v2.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This forum needs a 'like' button.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

There was a thread on RM Web some time back showing the conversion of a Slaters NER Brake van to include the side duckets. I bought some of these extra duckets from David Geen with the intention of doing this conversion to a Slaters van myself.

I now cannot find the postings referring to this conversion. Can anyone point me in the right direction with the title of this thread?

Thanks, SteveT
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think that was Paul Gallon (Worsdell Forever). If I have time later I'll try to search it out, unless you find it yourself in the meantime.

Alternatively Ian Sadler's book on North Eastern Brake Vans will tell you what you need to know to do the job.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

A closer look at the North Eastern brake van.

In comparison with Worsdell Forever's version, I used a ducket from a Parkside kit, which I decided not to proceed with. WF's ducket is much neater. The lamps are made up from brass section/rod and pin heads.

The 'district' branding, was dropped by the LNER, but there are a few shots of vans in LNER livery with it, so the model has it.

Ian Sadler's book is a very good source for all kinds of NER brake vans.

John
Attachments
Stack 8 NER brake van 97873 crop.jpg
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

The early LNER 12t "Covered Goods Van, is well covered in Tatlows 's LNER Wagons Vol. 4A, pages 114 to 122. As far as I know two kits of the 9ft w/b wooden under framed versions were made. As mentioned 3H is the one most of us recall, but Ian Kirk - under his basic wagon kit range - did one too. By very good fortune, I picked up a few of the later, on E-bay last month and I am in the course of building them. They are being upgraded with ABS axle boxes etc. and brake gear. Ordinary and fitted versions are being constructed.

Apart from roofs - the Kirk ones are longer! - their is another difference. The 3H ones are the " Darlington Version" and the Kirk ones are the "Doncaster Versions" . Look at the bottom corner strapping and you will see what I mean! Yours is the "Darlington Version".

So far as end shutters are concerned, whilst I can't be specific here, I do wonder if these were mainly the province of contractor built vans.

Turning to the ex NER V1 Brake Van, David Geen does a nice cast white metal ducket. I know it's nice as it was the one I did when I had 51L Model Railways!