Waverley Route

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Waverley Route

Post by 52D »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ_KK67tq4E from my fb page Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders the tracks are now at the currently envisaged terminus of Tweedbank (Near Melrose for those still using Pounds , Shillings and Pence.)
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Waverley Route

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

thanks for that....wonderful to see the return of the rails. Which preserved loco would you nominate as the most suitable to haul the first steam special?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Maude would be a good choice although there are many other locos just as worthy.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

True, but it would be nice to see Maude out again. Is she operational at the moment?
Copley Hill 56C
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Copley Hill 56C »

Re Maude. Believe not working currently. It was in one of the outer tents at NRM York a few months back. I was able to get a photo or two of it. Looked like it had not been in steam for some time.
Copley Hill 56C
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Copley Hill 56C »

Also re the Waverley route, I read recently that the opening of the line is to be sometime in September if all goes to plan. Very much looking forward to a trip up to Edinburgh to do the reopened line. Lets hope they can get back to Carlisle with it in my lifetime.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Whilst at present the line is only being rebuilt back to Tweedbank, I think it is. I believe the facilities there are to be built in such a way as to keep the option open to extend all the way back to Carlisle. In stages perhaps rather than all in one go, as I believe the central section of the line was the least populated section/area,, so making the poorest returns from a finacial point of view. Of course there is already a group based at the former Riccarton Junctrion who are currently engaged on relaying part of the line there too. What's more if and I do say if the line is rebuilt in full that section would be incorparated and the group would have to move on. Perhaps reopening part of the old Border Counties line south as far as say Kielder, the line originally going all the way to Hexham. You can still see the stumps of the bridge over the Tyne where it connected with the Newcastle-Carlisle line where the Hexham bypass swings back over to the south side of the Tyne. Speaking of Kielder, the forest there was looked on as a possible saviour of the old Waverley route and northern half of the Border Counties on account of the timber trade. So it still is a possible incentive to reopen the line all the way.