My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

That's coming along nicely, certainly looking very GN.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

More power to your LNER elbow! Nice layout developing.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
peregrine-fr
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by peregrine-fr »

You mentioned you were unsure of running round procedures for trains terminating at Potters Bar.The down train would draw forward clear of the
platform crossover,the loco then run round via the up slow then draw into the up platform and then set back into the up siding adjacent to the up slow.
Loco then ran light to stable at Hatfield overnight returning in the morning for the up train starting from PB.I hope this is of some help. I witnessed this
back in the 50's when going with my father to his office in the city.I can clearly remember an N2 and associate quadarts waiting in the up siding to make
the 8.11 I think it was. I am also building PB that side of the layout being almost complete now.As I am building this in France like yourself Richard
Benham has been of great help.
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

That is coming along very nicely Phil.

Mine is way behind yours, have managed to finish the boards and laid some of the track.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Thanks guys. Very interesting stuff regarding the turning of the train and from an eyewittness no less! I would guess that the Jinty hauled LMS service did the same as I think this terminated here as well. I am going tohave to bite the bullet and redo the storage yard. Its 4 tracks are already insufficent. That will need some careful thought as I havent been considering trains returning on different lines.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Got this Mailcoach GNR set off ebay the other day - wasn't sure if it would be Kirk style plastic sides or Mailcoach style clear sides.
Img_1872.jpg
Turns out it was neither and had resin sides. They are quite brittle and a little floppy but once all superglued in place with internal support are ok.

Painting is now well underway even though I have plenty of more important things to do. I am not sure this kit is very common as I can find no references to it online - anyone else out there made one?
Img_1873.jpg
Img_1901.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have a feeling I was offered that before it went to Ebay. I passed as I already have one. It's not a kit I'd ever seen before.

How accurate it is and what do you get? Most of Mailcoach/Coopercraft's forays into resin weren't too successful as far as I can see.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

As well as the Leeds Quint Diner set, there was also a kit with cast resin components for the complete LNER East Anglian rake of coaches.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

The kit comes mainly with standard kirk bit. Ends, bogies, interior, underframe, roofs etc. Enough to complete the set but i will replace some part such as the torpedo vents.
As for the accuracy it doesnt seem far off. Compared to photos - not that I can find many it looks right. I was worried about the sides as I had only one previous kirk/coopercraft kit with resin sides and they were the wrong length and had to be replaced with plastic ones.

The moulding isnt 100% but they are all useable.

I have seen your brass version, very nice indeed
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The LNER tender tops they did weren't brilliant examples of resin casting. Swirl marks and rough surfaces spring to mind. Maybe they got the message as further promised versions did not appear.

I'm puzzled to hear that the coach sides are both brittle and floppy. My simple way of looking at thing would suggest those are opposite qualities.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Floppy across the whole length but brittle when working on one point like a window frame. Bit odd I admit
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I have the 6 coach East Anglian set by Mailcoach which I got from a deceased estate here in Oz a year or so ago for a song. They had no underframes or bogies so they must have been mixed up maybe and not supplied with what I purchased, anyway I wouldn't have used much of those. Not sure if I'll ever build them but at the price it was too good to knock them back. I also have Mailcoach sides for a Pantry Third and a Dia 241 Rest Third - these I've had for more than 20 years.

I agree with Phil in that I would describe the sides as floppy and they do look a bit on the brittle side when looking at them closely - strange.

Phil I love reading your updates on Potters Bar as I lived there as a child until we emigrated in 1964.

Woodcock29
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Thanks Woodcock, nice to be appreciated!

Scenery has come along a bit and I have had my first go at weathering a few locos.
O4 and J6 are a bit over mucky but quite pleased. N2 less so.
Img_1911.jpg
Img_1910.jpg
Img_1922.jpg
Done a little work on the quintuplet set and you can just see my first attempt at a tree. Bit tall might cut it down a bit.
Img_1916.jpg
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:The LNER tender tops they did weren't brilliant examples of resin casting. Swirl marks and rough surfaces spring to mind. Maybe they got the message as further promised versions did not appear....
I bought one, and still have it somewhere. Very brittle.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Superb work there Phil. Particularly the Quint set. The weathering on the J6 and the GCR O4 are rather good, what's your technique?