80th Anniversary - Silver Jubilee first run

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

80th Anniversary - Silver Jubilee first run

Post by kimballthurlow »

27 September 1935.

I have a little booklet, and I have no idea of what date it was published.
From the text, it would have been at least one year after the first run, which was considered a trial for press and railway men.
So I have scanned the booklet, and offer it here for readers' interest.

Read driver A J Taylor's account of the first Silver Jubilee run here.
http://www.qldrail.net/lner/silverjubilee_sml.pdf

regards
Kimball
Last edited by kimballthurlow on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: 80th Anniversary - Silver Jubilee first run

Post by LNER4479 »

Very nice - thanks for posting.

27th September, incidentally. It was the 110th anniversary of the opening of the Stockton & Darlington Railway (part of the LNER at the time of course) and I understand that the date might have been deliberately chosen (or at the very least happy accident that it happened to coincide).

You might enjoy the piece of video below, our own little celebration you might say - probably travelling at a scale 100+ I should think :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWjoNWxVXlk
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Robert,
Yes I enjoyed that little clip, thanks.
0 gauge or 00? Anyway, nice modelling and track-work.

By the way, you may already know, Robert the Devil was a name given to one of Sacré's 2-2-2 (1882) on the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.

regards
Kimball
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

OO-gauge. More on the thread(s) in the modelling section - see link below - (and also on RMWeb)

Wasn't actually aware of the use of the name on the MS&LR loco! Very interesting - apparently, the racehorse that LNER4479 was named after won the St. Leger in 1880 so would have been quite topical in 1882 (assuming that was the inspiration for its naming!)
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Seagull
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

Well 80 years ago today driver A. Taylor & fireman J. Luty were asked by Sir Nigel to ease up as they were upsetting the passengers.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I've always thought of 27th Sept as "LNER Day" because of 2509's little outing and the S&D start in 1825 and try to get out around this time of year for a personal celebration. This year it had to be No;9 on the Borders.....magnificent
Frederick Banbury
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Frederick Banbury »

LNER4479 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:49 pm OO-gauge. More on the thread(s) in the modelling section - see link below - (and also on RMWeb)

Wasn't actually aware of the use of the name on the MS&LR loco! Very interesting - apparently, the racehorse that LNER4479 was named after won the St. Leger in 1880 so would have been quite topical in 1882 (assuming that was the inspiration for its naming!)
There was also a joke around Doncaster that the name 'Robert the Devil', although obviously a racehorse, also had a double meaning for those in the know - a Senior at The Plant was Robert A Thom - who, apparently, could be a bit of a character - hence the engine could just be name after him, with the horse very much second...
ColHut
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by ColHut »

Delightful Booklet

Thankyou

regards
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Frederick Banbury wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 pm
LNER4479 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:49 pm OO-gauge. More on the thread(s) in the modelling section - see link below - (and also on RMWeb)

There was also a joke around Doncaster that the name 'Robert the Devil', although obviously a racehorse, also had a double meaning for those in the know - a Senior at The Plant was Robert A Thom - who, apparently, could be a bit of a character - hence the engine could just be name after him, with the horse very much second...
I dread to think what they would have come up with for Edward Thompson then. :wink:
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Paul_sterling wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:16 pm
Frederick Banbury wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 pm

I dread to think what they would have come up with for Edward Thompson then. :wink:
G'Day Gents

There is a New Zealand horse, called Strait Laced...........!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Paul_sterling wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:16 pm .....

Eddy the Steady ....?

Kimball