Making plans for Nigel.....

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Making plans for Nigel.....

Post by silverfox »

SAC

That was already on the drawing board with the duck, as explained to us at the AGM by the chairman. nothing new, but they are now 'working on it'
perhaps they threw the original ida out with the duck, and now have 'found it'
Seagull
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

silverfox wrote:..perhaps they threw the original idea out with the duck, and now have 'found it'
I remember seeing it in the original annoncement abut the statue, I think it just got drowned out by all the quacking (sorry) and they brought it out to try to deflect some of the critism.

Either way I stand by what I said earlier in the other thread about this, I reckon HNG would not have minded the duck but would have minded the appearance of the suit he is to be portrayed in.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

s.a.c. Martin

It seems so formal calling you that. Are you known by anything else?

Re your suggestion of a montage of the Three CME. As someone earlier mentioned the mere mention of Thompson brings apoplexy amongst some sections of the railway community, although it does seem a nice idea and could be more eye catching than a single figure. There have been many theories about what and why Thompson did what he did. Apart from one or two people ,Dick Hardy for one, everyone who spouts their views has only hersay or books whose view may or may not be skewed ,depending on the writers allegience. The finest example of this is the historians who put their thoughts into someones actions 400 years or more ago. how DO they know what exactly went on? I understand that Peter Grafton ex editor of the Gresley Observer was 'removed' from the post some time ago for daring to utter in an editorial something not 100% Gresley. Sad Days i am afraid.
Still there are people, some may be on this forum for example, who do not belong to specific societies,and it has been said by someone that if you do not belong to a society you you cannot have an opinion about the subject that the society is studying. Yet on this forum the interest of the LNER is 99% very level headed and we can agree to differ like adults.

Ron
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

silverfox wrote:s.a.c. Martin

It seems so formal calling you that. Are you known by anything else?
You may call me Simon. I use "S.A.C. Martin" as it is my whole name and it is also more recognisable than yet another "Simon Martin" - there's thousands of us unfortunately both here and abroad! :)
Re your suggestion of a montage of the Three CME. As someone earlier mentioned the mere mention of Thompson brings apoplexy amongst some sections of the railway community, although it does seem a nice idea and could be more eye catching than a single figure. There have been many theories about what and why Thompson did what he did. Apart from one or two people ,Dick Hardy for one, everyone who spouts their views has only hersay or books whose view may or may not be skewed ,depending on the writers allegience. The finest example of this is the historians who put their thoughts into someones actions 400 years or more ago. how DO they know what exactly went on?
Research: through the studying of contemporary material such as what was reported at the time, eye witness accounts, experienced individuals, memoirs, etc etc. I have done the same and I am beginning to feel confident enough in my work behind the scenes that - even if I don't know the thought processes of the man in question - his actions can at least be reported more accurately than previously.

I feel that the approach to LNER history has been skewed rather vigorously and that this has come initially from a small group of people and has over time become almost a cult of personality. That the apoplexy you quite rightly point out even exists is proof that there is an imbalance in the reporting of LNER history.
I understand that Peter Grafton ex editor of the Gresley Observer was 'removed' from the post some time ago for daring to utter in an editorial something not 100% Gresley. Sad Days i am afraid.
If that is true, it is indeed a sad state of affairs.
Still there are people, some may be on this forum for example, who do not belong to specific societies,and it has been said by someone that if you do not belong to a society you you cannot have an opinion about the subject that the society is studying. Yet on this forum the interest of the LNER is 99% very level headed and we can agree to differ like adults.

Ron
I do not belong to either of the largest LNER societies at present, though I am considering full membership of the LNER society (if they will have me of course - it is down to their discretion as to whether they would accept me, as per the website).

I would suggest that sometimes it is best to be outside of societies: you are free to carve your own understanding and maintain your views. I choose to change my view where there is evidence to suggest it is wrong, and over a period of about ten years my view of Edward Thompson in particular has changed greatly.

But that is for another thread.

I note that Steam Railway and the Heritage Railway magazines have reported more of David Mcintosh's reaction to those who lament the removal of the duck. I don't believe a man can be more wrong than he - all the people who have reported on Facebook and online in general with regards this have been railway and mostly LNER enthusiasts, whether for or against. I do wonder sometimes what they hope to achieve by continuing in this surprisingly aggressive and defensive vein?