GCR conversions

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GCR conversions

Post by earlswood nob »

Hello Woodcock

Thanks for the informative reply.

Like you I have used cut down Craftsman A5 chimneys.

I intend building a new footplate for a Millhome Q4 to produce a B9. I picked up a spare Q4 as part of a job lot a while ago.

I don't think I will manage one kit per month, but if I aimed at four per year, I would probably only manage three. By aiming at twelve, I might make over six.

I also get distracted by other things including golf, but not at this time of year in UK.

Now that South Eastern Finecast have taken over the NuCast range, spares will be easier to get spares as SEF make all parts of their available separately.

Earlswood nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GCR conversions

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from sunny Surrey

Following on from this thread, I copied Woodcock's idea, and purchased Judith Edge kits of the B9 and GCR tender.

I shall still use the Millholme Q4 boiler, which will give weight for adhesion.

I scratchbuilt a B9 chassis last year, and the wheels, motor and gearbox will be transferred to the new B9.

However, my rake of "Queen of Scots" Pullmans needs to be finished first.

As the only etched kit that I have built is a Crownline GNR eight wheel tender, I shall re-read Iain Rice's booklet on Etched kit construction.

Earlswood Nob