NER Autocar - restoration progress

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: NER Autocar - restoration progress

Post by Autocar Publicity »

One thing I haven't mentioned - we are taking a stand at York show this Easter. We're up on the second mezzanine near the north stairs. If you visit, drop by and say hello and catch up on the latest news. I'm in the middle of doing the updates for the restoration display and have just had several pictures of the engineering arrive.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Looking good - so my model has the wrong colour upholstery...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Autocar Publicity wrote:One thing I haven't mentioned - we are taking a stand at York show this Easter. We're up on the second mezzanine near the north stairs. If you visit, drop by and say hello and catch up on the latest news. I'm in the middle of doing the updates for the restoration display and have just had several pictures of the engineering arrive.
Will call round and have a chat.
We have our stand opposite the staff tea bar.
Have a good weekend.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Thanks. I usually see it but have not been on a Sunday for many years, so have missed you so far...
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

A reshuffle shunt in the shed gave us the opportunity to take a picture of the autocoach outside.
trailer os 19-04-2015 (WA) R.jpg
Courtesy Wendy Anderson.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Just a quickie today:

The hard copy newsletters should be arriving shortly, there was a bit of an 'oopsie' at the printers which delayed thiings a week or so. The e-mailed ones were sent out at the start of the month, there were two which 'bounced back', so if you're one of those recipients, please drop me a PM or e-mail.

The autocoach is coming on very nicely and has currently been lifted to work on the bogies and underparts.
AC raise (WA).png
Photo courtesy Wendy again.

More next time...
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Well, I might not have posted much recently but there's been quite a bit going on. I've been tied down with the boring business of earning a living and haven't been able to make it in very often. I'm still very keen on the restoration but things have changed a bit in my life this year in all sorts of ways and I just don't have the opportunity to get up to Embsay and do much practical work very often. I'm still editing the newsletter - and it's nearly time to start thinking about the next one - and doing publicity work - our next exhibition appearance is at the Scarborough MRC's exhibition, to be held at Pickering next weekend - http://www.sdrmweb.co.uk/ and if you can attend, I'd recommend it, and not just because we're going...

At Loughborough, the engineering continues, but no news on testing runs as yet.

At Embsay, the autocoach is looking very smart:
15-08-15 Autocoach (AC) update.jpg
(Photo courtesy Alan Chandler). It's been lifted to allow work on the bogies and underneath and is now back on its wheels. As you can see from the photo, the stepboards are now attached, droplights installed & upholstery in place. There's still some work to be done but the light at the end of the tunnel is definitely getting closer.

We're currently working on the autocar again, ready for when the chassis comes back from Loughborough.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Brilliant stuff.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

And a couple of pictures from Loughborough, courtesy Peter van Houten, showing some of the recent work on the underframe.
IMG under brake gear 01.jpg
IMG under brake gear 08.jpg
There will be more pictures & full reports in the next newsletter. Short version: we're making progress...
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Sorry for the lengthy interval between this & the last post. There's just not enough hours in the day.

Firstly, the long overdue newsletter has been sent out electronically to those on our list; the print copies have been received, we hope to have them out in time for Christmas but I can't guarantee that at this time of year...

The first of the control desks is complete and in situe, two more to go!
DRIVERS DESK (DJM).jpg
We've won a Transport Trust award for the restoration of the autocoach, awarded down at Brooklands, which made for an interesting if long day out. The award was presented by Prince Michael of Kent, seen here with two of our volunteer members.
ac award pr 2.jpg
taking current for first time (DJM).jpg
At Loughborough, work has continued on the brake rigging and other mechanical tasks. Traction power has been taken for the first time and the mechanical elements have all worked well. The recent newsletter (no. 27) goes into more detail about our progress and discusses the testing process. Sometime in 2016 we'll be static brake testing and then running on the GCR - a very big day for us.
all engine & auxillary systems running together (DJM).jpg
We are still looking for people who can help, whether with practical restoration or 'back-room' tasks. Some of the latter roles have been filled but we're still looing for a researcher, fundraiser, lawyer and social media enthusiast. If you can help, even if it's just for a couple of hours a month, please let us know, it will really make a difference and be thoroughly appreciated.

We are holding our AGM at Embsay in January, members should have their notice with the newsletter. It would be nice to see our overseas members but their apologies for absence will be received without surprise...
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

I am very pleased to say that the autocar has now moved under its own power. Earlier this week it has moved up and down inside the GCR's shed, so not the longest journey ever, but it proved our engineering works. There were a few things to look at but our engineering team were confident these can be resolved quickly. It is likely further testing will take place over the next few weeks in the station yard and then further afield, but no details are available at the moment.

As you can imagine, this is very positive news and the AGM this afternoon was very upbeat. Fortunately a friend of one of our engineering team shot some footage and I've uploaded three clips to You Tube:

Controls - https://youtu.be/-DLkktgvLAs

Moving - https://youtu.be/tOEQ1684mtM

And on instruments - https://youtu.be/yqTDq5gZugU

We will see how further testing goes and hope to have further news (and a press release) shortly.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Great news!

Perhaps see it in service, next time I'm over?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Maybe...

I'm loathe to give any predictions, but on your usual frequency of trips, I'd say there's betting odds on that.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

:-)
We were over this Christmas, so yes - could be a little while, but Samuel would also be old enough to appreciate a train!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Great news hearing and seeing this machine has move under it's own power, even if only a few yards backwards & forwards. Be interesting to compare the Autocar with the G.W. steam railcar. Not forgetting the first generation D.M.Us' up and down the land or the second generation for that matter.