Much doodling at Earlswood

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Much doodling at Earlswood

Post by earlswood nob »

G’day all

Keeping myself busy with my thirty minute modelling sessions. I have also started to build a kit that has been sitting in various cupboards for thirty years. It still had the invoice in the box.

LNER_crop101.jpg
I’m sure you will recognise the prototype that I hope it will become.

Earlswood nob
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Looks like your having a go at a H&B 0-8-0, hope that knee gets better, I know my foots taken 6 months to come right.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning on a cold and frosty day

When I posted the pic above, Manna, I thought to myself that it looked liked a H&B Q10. The wheel spacing is different to the Q10

The Q10/2 is next on the list, as they finished their days at Mexborough and may have been used for banking up to Dunford Bridge.

I built a chassis a while ago, so it should be another quick model. I failed to produce a decent brass sheet cab, so postponed the model. I will now use a method similar to your plasticard GNR cabs.

Its a chassis building day, and an exercise to get a motor hidden in the firebox.

EArlswood nob
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Earlswood I think you're building the one and only Q3, hence the 5'6" boiler.

Woodcock29
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

Spot on Woodcock.

I've been thinking of building a Q3 for several years, and kept the NuCast/Cotswold kit for it. Now with the "cut and shut" J39 boilers it should be an easy job. It will need a GNR type D tender, but London Road Models make one.

The left over Q1 boiler can be reused as the basis for a R1, with plasticard tanks,bunker and cab. I did wonder about fitting the Q1 boiler to a Kays C1 footplate to make a C2, but it wouldn't be a simple job.

Earlswood nob
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Look forward to seeing you completing your O4's and O5. Will you be doing a bogie tender for the 8M?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all while watching Flying Scotsman on BBC news,

Strangely Manxman, in the last few days I have looked at pics of GCR 966 with the 6ft boiler and bogie tender. However, although it lasted to LNER days, it's a bit early for me.
It would be possible to stretch a K3 boiler to suit 966, but the tender would be a problem as I've never seen a drawing.

At the moment I'm planning to convert the last of my Kays O4s to an O4/5 rebuild.

Earlswood nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G’day all

Here is a pic of the Q3 starter balanced on its chassis:
LNER_Q3crop2.jpg
The Q10 boiler is balanced on its chassis, and the difference in wheelbase is evident.
LNER_Q10crop1.jpg
After Manxman suggesting that I produce a model of 966 with the bogie tender, I was surprised that no-one suggested the “Neverwazza” GCR 0-10-2T Worsborough banker, which had a B2 type 5ft6ins boiler.

After a visit to the great Wen, I now have plenty of brass strips to produce chassis for the Kays O4 conversions. If I don’t get too many interruptions should hopefully get some done by the end of the week. Then I can resume work on the bodies, but with care as I’ve discovered that variable temperature soldering irons burn fingers just like normal irons.

Earlswood nob
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

GCR 0-10-2T is on my list of 'to-do's', right alongside the Gorton 2-10-2 alternative to the Baldwin monster, but after the Paget 2-6-2 and Bulleid 0-6-6-0.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I do have a Bulleid Leader built from a Golden Arrow kit. I seem to remember Atlantic 3279 building a 2-10-2. I look forward to seeing your "neverwazzas", Manxman.
I also like the look of the H&B 0-6-6-0 banker.

Earlswood nob
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Rather than taking up space in your own thread, I'll post the relevant link to the pages here:-

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6761&start=315

Neverwazzas and normals can be found.
Brian

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G’day all

I’ve managed to produce scratch chassis for the three O4 variants illustrated above and the O4/5 which is also in the pipeline.
The only problem was that the Kays O4 coupling rods, which I was going to use to get the axle holes in the right position, were not straight. I did manage to find a pair that were reasonable and soldered them to the brass strips in turn to get the correct axle spacing.
By the time I got to the fourth chassis I was running out of Markits O4 wheels, and had to “borrow” a set that I was planning to use in rewheel an old Millholme Q4. I hesitate to think how much the wheels used in this project cost.
Next is building the High Level gearboxes and fitting Mashima motors.
I shall use 1624/1628 motors coupled to Highflier 54:1 gearboxes.
LNER_O4_4crop11.jpg
Earlswood nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I have returned to LNER modelling after a short interlude building L&Y 0-8-0's. They appeal to my love of grimy freight locos.
I have also been decorating, when my railway room is used or storage.

I have upgraded a Kirk Restaurant Triplet with Southern Pride seating, with MJT bogies and turnbuckle underframes.

The Kirk Quint is progressing steadily; this also has Southern Pride seating with MJT bogies. MJT are out of the bogie articuation unit, which has stalled the construction.

I have started constructing a Hertford East Quad from Kirk kits.

The first coach is a standard 51ft1 all third.

The second coach is a 51ft1 all third with one compartment removed.

The third coach is a 51t1 composite wih one compartment removed.

The final coach will be a passenger section of a compartment 51ft1 brake 3rd with one compartment removed, added to a brake section made by cutting down a 51ft1 full brake.
pigeon03.jpg
The LH drawing shows what I want and the RH drawing is how I will cut and sort the pigeon van. Eight cuts will be needed on the brake section, and I will attempt them during the peace of a sunday morning, as I'm not very good at sawing straight lines.

Earlswood Nob

EDITED: PS: I anyone has the Kirk Quad version 8860A, all third that needs a new home, I'd be very interested.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Further to the Hertford Quad post.
Here is a pic og the short all third carriage under construction:
Hertford_02crop1.jpg
A centre compartment is removed to keep the end section of beading intact.

The shortened side compared to a standard length carriage:
Hertford_03crop1.jpg
The three easy carriages of the Quad:
Hertford_01crop1red.jpg
Earlswood nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Once more:

The fourth carriage is going to be a mix of a shortened passenger section of a 4 comp brake 3rd and a much altered 51ft full brake:
The brake needs several cuts and swapping around:
pigeon03crop1.jpg
I hope that has the plan in horizontal format.

I did not get time to cut the sides yesterday, but hopeful of sometime this week.

Earlswood nob